Solved Closed

So confused - Want to upgrade my CPU but I dont know what's compatible

Motherboard Specs:
OWG864

Chipset:
P965/G965
Southbridge 82801HH (ICH8DH)

The CPU I have in it at the moment is a old Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz Dual Core processor. I recently purchased a Intel Pentium E5800 Wolfdale 3.2GHz processor to replace it with but when I threw it in there and connected power back up to the computer it instantly turned on with a black screen nothing more. I put the old CPU back in and everything works fine. Both are LGA 775 sockets, I was told that it should work with my motherboard. I did some digging and found out that (I have no clue if this has ANY relavance or not but) my chipset supports 65nm techs while the new one I bought is a 45nm. BUT the old processor I have is a 90nm, so I'm lost there. Please help, I just wanna upgrade my processor and learn some things about what I can pontentially do without breaking the bank.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about confused upgrade dont what compatible
  1. Best answer
    THis should answer your question: http://communities.intel.com/message/125751
  2. Thank you that helped a lot actually, I think I might just nix all my plans with this computer and build my own that supports more recent CPU's etc. Thank's for your time GhislainG
  3. Best answer selected by Irfail.
  4. Irfail said:
    Thank you that helped a lot actually, I think I might just nix all my plans with this computer and build my own that supports more recent CPU's etc. Thank's for your time GhislainG

That's a good plan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards CPUs Processors