Sign in with
Your question

300w PSU - Need a new graphics card - suggestions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2010 10:09:18 PM

I have an HP p6320y

Specs:

AMD Phenom II quad core

1 TB HD

8 GB Ram

Integrated nvidia 9100

PSU: 300W

So far I have been able to play Starcraft 2 pretty easily on low settings. However, I want to throw in a vid card that would allow me to run the game on medium to high and I am hoping to do so without having to upgrade the PSU.

I don't need anything high end, just something that doesn't require a lot of power, but can also increase my SC2 settings.

I have thought about just grabbing a card that has a minimum wattage of 300, but I feel like my specs are pretty solid other than my integrated graphics and I am not sure how much power I am already consuming and I don't want to overload my PSU.

Any help is appreciated.
a c 201 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 10:16:22 PM

A 5570 would do well, its significantly better than your IGP and doesnt use much more power than it.
m
l
August 6, 2010 10:21:10 PM

hunter315 said:
A 5570 would do well, its significantly better than your IGP and doesnt use much more power than it.

Just checked into that one and it looks good. According to their website, the 5570 only used 39 watts at max capacity, yet they recommend a 400w PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a c 201 U Graphics card
August 6, 2010 10:36:39 PM

I dont know of any card that recommends less than a 400W PSU, but their power recommendations are based off of worst case scenario. I saw one that admitted to the system the recommendation was based off of was using an Intel QX9775 and a high end motherboard, of course these will cause the minimum PSU requirement to be inflated a bit higher than it should be, and they also account for your average PSU not being very strong.
m
l
August 6, 2010 10:50:52 PM

One of the worse things anybody can do to any computer is to stress the PSU.
m
l
August 6, 2010 11:11:23 PM

Well I just ordered from newegg, so we'll see how it goes. I read a lot of reviews from people buying pre-configured comps and throwing that card in there to complete the rig. Some people were even running on 220w PSU and not reporting any problems. Like I said, the max power usage of this card is said to be 39w so I can't imagine it being too stressful on my PSU.
m
l
!