Dell inspiron bios does not recognize samsung 840 ssd

geert_63

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I replaced the normal HD with a Samsung 840 SSD. At startup checking it says "internal hard disk not found, to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive". Followed by "No bootable devises--strike F1 to retry to boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnosics." I did all of this, nothing seems wrong. I tried the different setting for SATA operation as well.

F2 shows in the System Information that there is no primary Hard Disk.
I first thought something was wrong with the SDD, so went back to the shop, they tested it (and were even so kind to format it), but still it does not get recognized by the Dell. The shop mentioned that DELL is problematic with accepting SSD.
I also made the drive bootable, still it's not recognized.

Any ideas ?
thanks

geert_63

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Can't wiggle much on it, it simply slides into the HD slot. DELL->out of warranty, calling costs 29 Euros...
Bios update ?
Is it dangerous to re-seat the drive while laptop is switched on ?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Don't mess with the drive when power is on. Just push it in and out a couple of times with power off. That's about the best you can do. Also check BIOS for IDE, ACHI, SATA settings and change some of them if possible.

geert_63

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Problem solved. DELL inspiron does not like SAMSUNG or the other way around. Called SAMSUNG, they are aware that the 840 SSD has an issue with Marvell controlers. I tried to find out if DELL has a Marvell controler on board, but the bios doesn't say anything about the disk controler. An upgrade of the bios might have solved the problem, but as I had no harddisk and didn't feel like making a boottable CD, I simply changed the SAMSUNG for an Intel 520 Series, 120 GB. (product code SSDSC2CW120A310).
It was about 50 Euros more expensive, but it works like a cream. Bios recognized drive, Win7-64 installed; and my son can continue on his essays..
By the way, this Inspirion already went through normal harddisks before this one -that's why I installed SSD. (the last one was a seagate Momentum, which should be more forgiving for "drops") There are quite some forums mentioning that some Dell inspirions eat harddisks...

mujahedeen1

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I also have a Dell Inspirion (N5010 R15, chipset HM57) and I also want to buy samsung 840 but after your post I think it may be wrong decision. Colud you post more details about your dell model?

D-RockTech

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

I recently worked on a DELL INSPIRON 1545 that was getting an upgrade to a Samsung 840 SSD. The other tech installed the SSD and had the same issue. No drive was visible in the BIOS and no amount of firmware updates or drivers was helping. After two hours I decided to try and help him out and had similar luck. Then I decided I should reseat the SSD. It felt like it came out to easy and upon further inspection and trying full size HDDs I realized the slimline Samsung 840 didn't sit in the caddie properly. The caddie doesn't screw into the business end of the drive, so it has the ability to sway up and down at the end of the caddie. After a little coercion, I was able to seat the drive into the SATA port properly and the drive became recognizable and we were able to install windows normally. When installing a Samsung SSD into a DELL Inspiron, always check to make sure the SATA plug is lining up properly and makes a satisfying 'ka'chunk' when it goes in.
TL;DR - Reseat your SSD and make sure the SATA port is pushed up to line up with the port. Try adding cushion above the drive if you can't get it lined up.

petrix15

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks man. You helped me a lot :) It does work. No need to replace the Samsung ssd for different ssd. Just need to fit it there

Dan Gold

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
You guys saved me! I was trying to install a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD into a Dell Inspiron 1545. Everything I found said the 1545's like SSD's just fine so I was getting frustrated. I thought the issue must be BIOS related but I was dead in the water because the old drive died and I didn't have a spare, nor time or funds to acquire one.

It took me a bit to get the 840 seated properly even after reading this. I took the drive out of the sled and plugged it straight in to see what it should feel like. Not sure I recommend this for others because I then had to pry it out with my thumbnails. After 15-20 minutes of fiddling, I finally got it to mount (sled included) by angling it sharply down and trying many many times.

Best of luck if you have this problem, just keep trying to seat the drive and you will end up in happy land.

fletan

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks a lot! The drive really had to be entered angled down to snap in correctly and be detected. Problem solved!

BenDarrenBach

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I recently worked on a DELL INSPIRON 1545 that was getting an upgrade to a Samsung 840 SSD. The other tech installed the SSD and had the same issue. No drive was visible in the BIOS and no amount of firmware updates or drivers was helping. After two hours I decided to try and help him out and had similar luck. Then I decided I should reseat the SSD. It felt like it came out to easy and upon further inspection and trying full size HDDs I realized the slimline Samsung 840 didn't sit in the caddie properly. The caddie doesn't screw into the business end of the drive, so it has the ability to sway up and down at the end of the caddie. After a little coercion, I was able to seat the drive into the SATA port properly and the drive became recognizable and we were able to install windows normally. When installing a Samsung SSD into a DELL Inspiron, always check to make sure the SATA plug is lining up properly and makes a satisfying 'ka'chunk' when it goes in.
TL;DR - Reseat your SSD and make sure the SATA port is pushed up to line up with the port. Try adding cushion above the drive if you can't get it lined up.[/quotemsg]

Thanks so much! After formatting and updating the BIOS I was ready to give-up...turned drive and LT right-side up and it connected properly to the M/B! Just to be more clear because this seems so difficult...usually a laptop is up-side-down when you work on it...right-side-up and gravity will help with seating it.

FrenchFilou

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Many Thanks. You helped me a lot too :) It does work. My disk is a Sandisk ultra Plus SSD, same problem as Samsung.

oldguy70

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

oldguy70

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Many thanks! Same problem with OCZ Vertex 460... Problem seems to be in the Dell 1545 plug-in... Took many attempts with added downward force each time...what a pain! But...works for now. Truly appreciate all the people who take time to post solutions. D-RockTech you deserve extra credit for a well written/articulate fix. Happy New Year!

guy222

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
I had the same thing; I reseated the 850 SSD I had a bunch of times but it wouldn't see it. Ended up sticking a 7mm to 9mm spacer on top of the drive (one like this - http://hardwarebbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MG_2047.jpg)

Worked like a charm!

jbuffethed

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I ran into the same problem on my friend's Inspiron 1525 and EVO 850. Re seating didn't seem to work after multiple attempts. It feels like it seats, but is actually going under the connector. This is a surefire way to fix without a spacer:

1. Open back panel that covers memory.
2. Feed SSD into laptop. When it gets close to the connector, use a toothpick to gently lift up the SSD and guide it into the connector.

Worked like a champ and showed up immediately in the BIOS.

Jun 7, 2015
Hi all. Just installed a Samsung 850 evo and had the same seating problem. I put two post-it notes facing each other to cover the glue, folded into thirds for extra bulk, and slid it under the drive while inserting to elevate the sata and power connection. Slipped right in on first try. THANKS for the help with the fit issue.

gsnsllc

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

gsnsllc

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
Yes I have the had the same problem 1 week ago, this is what i did. The mounting case for the current hard is the problem and the mounting of the harddrive SSD. I put the SSD in made sure that it was sitted firmy and it worked. The caseing for the harddrive is not the same size for your hard SSD. It will be just fine as long as you dont move it around the Laptop much Im checking with dell to c if they have a fix for this.

jasatt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,

All you need to solve this problem is a spacer which is basically a piece of plastic which sticks to the bottom or upper side of the ssd to add 2mm (to the standard 7mm) of height to the ssd so it reaches and aligns with the sata and power connector inside. Some of the ssds come with a spacer included in the package but if not you can buy a cheap one online for little money. Hope this helps!!

Jas