Hi everyone.

Below are my specs:

* Win 7 (64-bit) Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz cache 1024

*1 TB HD

* I have 3 PCIE slots available

* 350 watt PSU (ugggh!!!)

* Nvidia GeForce 310 512mb

* resolution - 1920x1080

I'm looking at the GTX 460 and I saw somewhere in these forums that the 5770 is also a good card. Would I need anything extra to run either card?
I also wanted to know if you had any suggestions besides the 2 cards above and most importantly, I'm a gamer (just got Crysis demo!) I'm also waiting on Diablo III, any suggestions (get an existing card, hold out till game releases for specs, etc; )

Should I worry about cards fitting? PSU unable to run the cards I mentioned?

Thanks!!!!

The GTX 460 is quite a bit faster than the HD 5770, although it does require a bit more power. It would probably work on a 350 W PSU, but I personally wouldn't risk it, I would go for the HD 5770 instead. If you're willing to upgrade your PSU then the GTX 460 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Solrac456

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Thank you for the response.

If I were to upgrade the PSU, would it fry my mobo or any of the PCs other parts? The customer service dude from Dell said that upgrading the PSU was totally out of the question since it would burn everything up and my PC wouldn't be able to handle the extra juice. LOL! I didn't believe him, but I was wondering since I'm not too PC savvy...

So....

I can run the 5770 without any additional parts? Just take the old card out and plug 5770 in?

If I go with GTX460, I would need a new PSU, and that's all? I don't need to do anything to my mobo, RAM, etc?
Also, would you know if "card size" would be an issue? I read in another thread that card size is an issue with StudioXPS 8100 cases? Any brand recommendation for the PSU?

Which card brands are better? (Sapphire, Visiontek, XFX)

Thanks!

Pfft. Dell customer service. I very much doubt so... unless Dell's got some system where it self-destructs if the OEM PSU isn't there which I highly doubt.

You wouldn't need any additional parts, but first uninstall your old graphic card's drivers, reboot into safe mode and use Driver Sweeper to get rid of any leftover files, then shut down and install your new graphics card and plug in the six pin PCI-E connection. Card size may be an issue - the HD 5770 & GTX 460 are pretty short cards though. It may be a problem if it's a low profile case.

If you went with a new PSU & a GTX 460 you wouldn't need to change anything else.

As for brands, it's mainly preference, XFX has the best ATi warranty for the HD 5000 series cards while EVGA has the best warranty for the GTX 460 I believe. Zotac & some other companies may have lifetime warranty too.

Solrac456

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

Awww man... I really, really appreciate your help with my many questions. Thank you!