Sign in with
Your question

3TB ESATA Freecom 56068 / Seagate ST3000DM-001-9YN1 SCSI Disk Device

December 25, 2012 12:23:11 PM

Hi guys

I have an external 3TB ESATA Freecom 56068 backup drive (shows in device manager as Seagate ST3000DM-001-9YN1 SCSI Disk Device).

I unplugged it from the ESATA port at the front of my computer and plugged it in to the ESATA port at the back of my computer and it didn't show up! So I opened up disk management and got a prompt saying I had to initialize the disk to use it. Long story, short, the only way I could get it to work in the back ESATA port was to initialize it and re-format it, I lost my backup data and have to backup again now.

If I initialize and format the disk in either the back ESATA port or the firewire port or any of the USB ports, then I can swap the disk between those ports as I like and even swap it to other computers as desired, no problems there.

The problem lies only with ESATA port at the front of my computer. The disk only works in that ESATA port if it is initialized in that port and the disk then isn't transferrable anywhere else.

Any ideas why please? (my motherboard is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO (USB2) and the case is a Thermaltake Element S).

I have another Freecom 56068 hard drive on the way and I paid extra for an ESATA drive with the specific idea of running it via the other ESATA port as it’s the only port free and so I really need to figure this out!

Help much appreciated please? Anybody had this issue before?

Thanks
!