Hello!

I have a question,

Can you put an AM3 CPU in a AM2 socket?

PLEASE REPLY!!!

Thanks!

Yogman
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. You cannot put an AM3 CPU in an AM2 socket (with very very few exceptions, but no official support).

You CAN put AM3 CPU's in AM2+ Sockets and use them with DDR2 ram.

Hope that clarifies,

Cheerz :sol:

BA plz
  2. N.Broekhuijsen said:
    You cannot put an AM3 CPU in an AM2 socket (with very very few exceptions, but no official support).

You CAN put AM3 CPU's in AM2+ Sockets and use them with DDR2 ram.

Hope that clarifies,

BA plz

Ok, well, Can you put a AM2+ CPU in a AM2 System?
  3. yes, which CPU are you considering and with which motherboard?
  4. N.Broekhuijsen said:
    yes, which CPU are you considering and with which motherboard?

Well, I don't know. I have a really nice computer, but I know someone who's computer is pretty slow, so I thought I might get her a faster CPU.

Hopefully a quad, but.....
  5. Best answer
    Quad AM2+ you'd be looking at the Phenom 1 series, which were rubbish.

I would reccomend going for a Athlon II X4 635
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103702&cm_re=athlon_x4-_-19-103-702-_-Product

and then for mobo just get an AM2+ mobo so you can still use the old DDR2 ram from the old system:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138285

there for 160 bucks you got her a quad core and new mobo.

How much ram does she have? If it's like 1 gb then your better off going for an AM3 board and just making it 4GB ram aswell.

let me know,

6. yogman said:
    Ok, well, Can you put a AM2+ CPU in a AM2 System?

No, most AM2 motherboard didn't support newer CPUs. Check the motherboard before you buy a computer.

I can honestly tell you because I do have an AM2 motherboard. Most of them cannot handle the power requirements of the Phenom series.

Some did support it, some didn't. Depends on the motherboard.
  7. Or some said they would but didn't, like my DFI590SLI.. [:aford10:1]
  8. I feel your pain, Sapphire told me it'd be supporting until AM3... they never got past the Athlon 64 X2...
  9. The only way for a definite answer is to check out the CPU compatibility online with your motherboard manufacturer's CPU support list.

Physically AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ and AM2 BUT there are other factors such as bios compatibility and chipset compatibility.
  10. ^+1 I think that I've seen a very few AM2 boards that support a couple or at least one AM3 CPU.The hypertransport speed was lower though.
  11. The Hypertransport speed for AM2 is 1Ghz, 800mhz for Sempron models and the AM2+ speed was 2.6Ghz.
  12. Best answer selected by yogman.
  13. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket AMD Product