Gosse1992

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello,

First of all, merry christmas.

And now my problem:
Three days ago my laptop gave an error before loading Win7 (DOS): A S.M.A.R.T. error saying HDD failure imminent, backup all important data and replace HDD.

I ran a s.m.a.r.t. diagnostic tool, saying the HDD had a "Raw read error". Value was "1", worst "1", threshold "51". On top of that, it gave about 100 pending errors.

The Raw Read Error Rate has been stable since I got the first error. Also I had Windows running chkdsk, which gave no errors.

Is my HDD done for? What can I do?

Regards,
Gosse

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
If u r hear any grrrr or scratch sound in hdd.are do u have one of these problems :hanging many times,many files corrupted,files disappear,or (A old bomb virus affected u r system can cause these like problems) unknown file automatically created with lenthy name and big file size above partition(ex:if partition is 60gb a file with 70gb size in 60gb partition).
if any of the problems u r facing in hdd no way to cure that if it has warenty contact manufacturer for replace.if no warenty throw it away dont use that because the virus affect inserted pendrives and all devices to malfunction.
no antivirus should find it and win xp sp2 is instalable in that hdd.
Otherwise dont care about these problem.

Gosse1992

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Thank you for your reply.

No, my HDD does not make any unusual sounds. Temperature is okey at 37 degrees celsius. As for any malware and virusses: I recently did a full system restore and virusscans, nor do I have any files that are very large, so I doubt the issue is malware-related.

However, every now and then, when I boot my laptop it is very slow. If I let it run for a while a BSOD shows up with an error (again) about the HDD failing. If I reboot my system, everything is back to normal.

Also, every now and then, Windows shows an alert about my HDD giving errors and tells me to backup important data (which I have).

The normalised value of the Raw Read Error Rate attribute has fallen below the threshold. That's why the drive is considered to have failed.

BTW, the number of "pending" errors is actually 3, not 100. The latter is a normalised value and represents the "health score" for that attribute.

The Recalibration Retries and Load Retry Count attributes also have quite a few counts (0x128 = 296 decimal), so that may or may not point to a problem.