What do publications normally want?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 5:30:01 PM

I just started taking pictures again 1 month ago and my reward is
sharing them with others.

I have had two, basketball action, publiched in local newpapers, one a
daily with 35K readership and the other a weekly with 2K readership.

The two that were published were finished, photoshope cropped and
exposure adjusted slightly. In talking to one of the "Pros" I was under
the impression the publisher was wanting the uncropped/unedited image.
But that seems just opposite from my limited experience. I have sent
better pictures (still requiring cropping and "enhancements) and they
have not been used. The pictures are 8megapixel in size and passing 20
raw pictures takes a ;little time. Maybe I should've done the cropping
and only sent them one or two at the most?

Keep im mind we are only doing it for the fun, and publishing is just a
scorecard for me. After all taking pictures for a month certainly is
not make one a graduate apprentice. Suchs we haven even got past our
probation peroid yet.

What has been your experience?

Thanks,
BobSam

More about : publications

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:45:37 AM

On Monday 03 January 2005 14:30, BobSam wrote:

> I just started taking pictures again 1 month ago and my reward is
> sharing them with others.
>
> I have had two, basketball action, publiched in local newpapers, one a
> daily with 35K readership and the other a weekly with 2K readership.
>
> The two that were published were finished, photoshope cropped and
> exposure adjusted slightly. In talking to one of the "Pros" I was
> under the impression the publisher was wanting the uncropped/unedited
> image.
> But that seems just opposite from my limited experience. I have sent
> better pictures (still requiring cropping and "enhancements) and they
> have not been used. The pictures are 8megapixel in size and passing
> 20
> raw pictures takes a ;little time. Maybe I should've done the
> cropping and only sent them one or two at the most?
>
> Keep im mind we are only doing it for the fun, and publishing is just
> scorecard for me. After all taking pictures for a month certainly is
> not make one a graduate apprentice. Suchs we haven even got past our
> probation peroid yet.
>
> What has been your experience?

Contact the photo editor of the publication you're interested in, and
ask for their photo submission requirements, both digital and
conventional, then you'll know what they want. Don't waste your time
guessing. While you're at it, ask what they pay for photos, too. If
they don't pay for photos, go to someone who does. If a publication
makes money on your photos, then so should you.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

you need to get them resized first of all nobody want to deal with pics that
big newspapers do not use high quality photos like a magazine would.

I would make the pictures as print ready as possible and resize it for the
size they would use at most 5x7
You may also see if they want B&W pictures as they do not always use color
for all the pictures either

Wayne

"BobSam" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just started taking pictures again 1 month ago and my reward is
> sharing them with others.
>
> I have had two, basketball action, publiched in local newpapers, one a
> daily with 35K readership and the other a weekly with 2K readership.
>
> The two that were published were finished, photoshope cropped and
> exposure adjusted slightly. In talking to one of the "Pros" I was under
> the impression the publisher was wanting the uncropped/unedited image.
> But that seems just opposite from my limited experience. I have sent
> better pictures (still requiring cropping and "enhancements) and they
> have not been used. The pictures are 8megapixel in size and passing 20
> raw pictures takes a ;little time. Maybe I should've done the cropping
> and only sent them one or two at the most?
>
> Keep im mind we are only doing it for the fun, and publishing is just a
> scorecard for me. After all taking pictures for a month certainly is
> not make one a graduate apprentice. Suchs we haven even got past our
> probation peroid yet.
>
> What has been your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> BobSam

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:42:16 AM

"wayne" <notme@example.com> wrote in message
> you need to get them resized first of all nobody want to deal with pics
that
> big newspapers do not use high quality photos like a magazine would.
>
> I would make the pictures as print ready as possible and resize it for the
> size they would use at most 5x7
> You may also see if they want B&W pictures as they do not always use color
> for all the pictures either
>
> Wayne

I would only add that if you crop it might be nice to have the full size
information about the photo in case the publisher has specific space to
fill. But, edit them as best you can. The publisher should have someone on
staff that can do a good job of it...we do ....its me....but you can't count
on it with a small publisher.