Hyper 212 Plus causing short in Antec 300?

bluepeak

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm putting a new build together, relevent parts are Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard, AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 2x2 gb G.Skill ripjaws DDR3 memory, a Hyper 212 plus hs/fan, Antec 300 case, Corsair 650TX power supply, Sapphire 5770 graphics card, WD 640 AALS hard drives.

System would not power up, and dismantling and inspecting it, I noticed that the backplate of the hs/fan has two screw nuts that may be touching the frame. The cutout on the back of the Antec case is not big enough to allow the top two screw nuts to be more than half visible. I was able to slide a piece of paper between one nut and the case but not the other, so I assume contact.

I removed everything from the case, hooked up the motherboard with graphics card and dvd burner to the power supply and it supplied power, although the corsair ps was so quiet I didn't think it was on at first until I saw the fan spinning. I was able to get into the Bios and start a windows installation from a cd in the drive. So I presume contact with the case may well be the source of the problem.

Would electrical tape on the frame next to the screw nuts work? I could try bending the metal in the case a little or I could try installing the stock hs/fan (or try another), but would prefer not to.

Has anyone run into this problem with the Hyper 212 Plus or some other heatsink, or could someone suggest some other steps I might take?

Thanks for any help you can offer, guys.

If it works, go with it. However, this is very odd. I have both the components you speak of (Hyper 212+ and Antec 300) and have no such issue. Are you sure the backplate is on in the correct orientation? I guess it is if the screws line up. Are all of the standoffs in place?

The heatsink touching the case should not lead to any electrical problems, if it does that means your heatsink is electrically "hot" in which case you have a much bigger problem than it touching the case. The case is ground and the heatsink should not be able to make an electrical circuit with anything, if it is then you have something shorting to the heatsink which is bad.

bluepeak

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the answers, guys. I did do some research on the heatsink with that motherboard because I was concerned about the height of the unit. There were a number of people who used it in the antec 300 successfully, so I was confident in buying it.

The amd chips need to have the backplate reversed from what intel chips need, but there is a non-conductive film on the surfaces touching the motherboard back, so it shouldn't be a problem either way. The screw nuts, however, connect to the screws which connect to the feet of the clamp holding the heatsink in place on the other side.

Anyway, I marked the metal where there was contact and gently bent it back an eighth of an inch in both places. Computer now boots up and I was able to enter the Bios and make changes. I put a windows cd in the drive and it started the installation process, so for now, it looks like that contact with the case was causing the problems.

Thanks again for the speedy replies (although hunter315's answer does make me feel a little nervous about what's hot and what's not inside the case).

bluepeak

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the answers, guys. I did some research on the heatsink with that motherboard because I was concerned about the height of the unit. There were a number of people who used it in the antec 300 successfully, so I was confident in buying it.

The amd chips have the backplate reversed from the way it's used with intel chips, but there is a non-conductive film on the surfaces touching the motherboard back, so it shouldn't be a problem either way. The screw nuts, however, connect to the screws which connect to the feet of the clamp holding the heatsink in place on the other side.

Anyway, I marked the metal where there was contact and gently bent it back an eighth of an inch in both places. Computer boots up and I was able to enter the Bios and make changes. I put a windows cd in the drive and it started the installation process, so for now, it looks like that contact with the case was causing the problems.

Thanks again for the speedy replies (although hunter315's answer does make me worry a little about what's hot and what's not inside the case).