Is my video card (GTX 470) dying before my eyes? video link

seroism

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I recently have started to see some glitching on my screen, worse when trying to play games but still on desktop with no windows/programs open. I bought and built this system myself about a 1 1/2 to 2 months ago. I have had the latest video drivers (258.96) since they came out about and this happened well after I downloaded them.
I recently bought NVIDIA 3D Vision but at the time this giltching began it was not on. I disconnected 3D Vision and it still is doing it so I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it. The glitching happens at any time the computer is on now but worse when video is running or I try to begin playing a game. With just the desktop open and nothing going, if I hover over the Windows button and open the menu I will see some of the same small squares I see when start a video game but just two or three of them. Temps are all fine and it's definitely not hot outside or in. I don't believe it's the monitor because I tried it on two different monitors and the exact same thing happens. I have attached a youtube link so others can take a look and maybe know what's going on.

If anyone can tell me if this is really my video card dying or if something else might be going on, please share what you think. I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNxbKfI0ALU

i7 930 2.8
GTX 470
6gb Corsair Dominator ram
ASUS P6T mobo
WD Velociraptor 300gb HD
ACER GD235HZ
Antec 850w p.s.
CoolIt E.C.O. cooling

seroism

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

The temperature of the card is 45c and up to 51c accordign to SpeedFan. And as I said, the drivers are updated, I did a driver sweep of them and reinstalled the latest drivers and tested it on both monitors. I live on the coast and it's foggy out, actually cold outside. Inside my room is not hot by any means and temperatures of all components are stable. Even when I open my CM Storm case, the ambient temperature inside the case is not warm at all.

If it's just the card, is this something normal that happens when they go out? Is there something that can be done or is the only way an RMA back to EVGA?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Reformat or try the video card on another computer. It can still be broken drivers. You can also look at the PCB of the video card and see if theres excess accumulations of dust. Probably not since the card is relatively new. There can still be some sort of interference. If you're not sure, RMA the card. Why bother fixing when the warranty is still fresh? Don't take the chances.

seroism

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Thank you for your reply.

What did you mean by reformat? Reformat what exactly?

I'll remove the card and make sure everything is clear and clean it out but I've been pretty good about that since I built this new system.

I didn't necessarily mean it was overheating, but it had the type of artifacting you'd expect. It seems more likely to be a bad card, but it might be worth testing it in another machine, and see if it has the same issues.

When the above poster said reformat, he meant to reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows.

seroism

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Thank you. I see what you mean now.

If it's still broken drivers and I thought I cleaned out and reinstalled correctly, what can I do this time around to fix that? When using Guru3D, I check off the box for NVIDA Display, PhysX and Chipset and then click on Analyse. It brings up a list and all are checked in their box. After it's done, about 4 of those lines are left with their boxes still checked. It asks me to Reboot computer so I click yes and do that. I then reinstall the newest NVIDIA drivers that I saved to desktop before cleaning out the drivers. One more reboot and I thought that was it. Should I be doing more? Or something different?