Already use a GTX295... is Dual 460s a worthwhile investment?

aemWhispers

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Last August I bought a GTX295 (This one) and I'm happy with it but I'm looking to do a bit of an overhaul to my machine and I'm currently considering picking up 2 460s (This one) and the research I've done, while it does say that dual 460s are spectacular, also still show 295 as a very high performing card.

I'd like the (knowledgeable) opinion of the folks here as to whether or not they think this is a legitimate purchase, or if there's an expectation of something better in the next 6 months (I heard speculation of a 495 (which would be nice because it wouldn't limit me to SLI's full screen/non-windowed requirement)).

I don't overclock, I have a tendency to just run the components directly out of the box.

Also, if anyone is familiar with any direct comparisons (I was unable to find any), that would be spectacular.

Thanks.

You have to ask yourself a question: are you having performance issues now?

If you are not having performance issues, then stay with the 295, unless you feel a need for DX11, which has very few games, most of which don't sure much improvement over DX10.

aemWhispers

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

Truthfully, the cause for my looking to upgrade was that I didn't consider my rating with the FF14 Benchmark to be satisfactory (on the High Res settings, it offered that it was playable, but that I might want to consider lowering my settings).