RAW format and Exif data

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 3, 2005 7:52:26 PM

Hi,

I have found that the nice thing about using the JPEG file format
instead of the RAW file format is that when I am looking at the pictures
in ACDC and I want to find which camera settings I used for that picture
I just hit Shift + E and a third party program clicks in and reads all
the camera settings from the file including focus distance in feet and
displays them in a window.

However I just discovered that although the RAW format doesn't include
the Exif data the camera adds another file with a THM extension for each
raw picture that does. I also discovered that this is just a miniature
JPEG picture of the RAW picture and if I change the extension from THM
to JPG it will display in ACDC and so will the Exif data.

I was just wondering how anyone else treats this data and if they have a
program that will add it back to the TIF file the RAW conversion makes?

Thanks, C

More about : raw format exif data

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:09:00 PM

"Cas" <no@spam.spam.spam.maps> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have found that the nice thing about using the JPEG file format
> instead of the RAW file format is that when I am looking at the pictures
> in ACDC and I want to find which camera settings I used for that picture
> I just hit Shift + E and a third party program clicks in and reads all
> the camera settings from the file including focus distance in feet and
> displays them in a window.
>
> However I just discovered that although the RAW format doesn't include
> the Exif data the camera adds another file with a THM extension for each
> raw picture that does. I also discovered that this is just a miniature
> JPEG picture of the RAW picture and if I change the extension from THM
> to JPG it will display in ACDC and so will the Exif data.
>
> I was just wondering how anyone else treats this data and if they have a
> program that will add it back to the TIF file the RAW conversion makes?
>
> Thanks, C

Download and install the latest update from acdsystems.com.
When you do, you'll be able to gather all exif data straight from the THM
file, as always was true in the past.

-Mark
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:17:12 AM

"Cas" <no@spam.spam.spam.maps> wrote in news:10tjjogojqnucc5
@corp.supernews.com:

> Hi,
>
> I have found that the nice thing about using the JPEG file format
> instead of the RAW file format is that when I am looking at the pictures
> in ACDC and I want to find which camera settings I used for that picture
> I just hit Shift + E and a third party program clicks in and reads all
> the camera settings from the file including focus distance in feet and
> displays them in a window.

> However I just discovered that although the RAW format doesn't include
> the Exif data

No, you didn't.

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/rawconverters/pages/exif...

Any ACDSEE users know why it doesn't seem to reading the EXIF in his 10D
files?

<snip>
January 4, 2005 5:53:02 AM

"Cas" <no@spam.spam.spam.maps> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have found that the nice thing about using the JPEG file format
> instead of the RAW file format is that when I am looking at the pictures
> in ACDC and I want to find which camera settings I used for that picture
> I just hit Shift + E and a third party program clicks in and reads all
> the camera settings from the file including focus distance in feet and
> displays them in a window.
>
> However I just discovered that although the RAW format doesn't include
> the Exif data the camera adds another file with a THM extension for each
> raw picture that does. I also discovered that this is just a miniature
> JPEG picture of the RAW picture and if I change the extension from THM
> to JPG it will display in ACDC and so will the Exif data.
>
> I was just wondering how anyone else treats this data and if they have a
> program that will add it back to the TIF file the RAW conversion makes?
>
> Thanks, C

That is not possible. RAW images (especially when read with proprietary
browsers) have more information than any JPEG. For example on Canon 20D, it
has the programmed value of camera custom functions. Your software must have
some issue when translating in the RAW, maybe check for updates? or use
Photoshop CS /w camera raw plugin.
!