Sign in with
Your question

New Computer not working

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2010 12:15:49 PM

Ok i checked the sticky( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste... ) and tried everything that it said. The bit where it gets stuck is when there's a cpu in and heatsink only and then long single beebs then i add ram and i get more long single beebs. It says that the BIOS doesn't recognise the presence of the ram.

I built it but got the single long beebs so i started again but same thing so what's the problem?

On the first time i set it up i tried hooking it up to the monitor but i didn't get any signal, i'm using d-sub at the moment with a old 17 inch monitor( i haven't got my new monitor yet) but the gpu doesn't have a slot for d-sub so i just plugged it into the motherboard and took the gpu out for now.

My build is:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (stock heatsink)
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Corsair HX-750
G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600Mhz ( is this ram compatible with the motherboard even though the motherboard says it only supports 1066mhz, 1333mhz and 1866mhz+ ?)
CoolerMaster RC-922M-RWN2 HAF
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3
Sony AD7240SGB
Gigabyte ATI HD5850 1GB OC

Thanks in advance.

More about : computer working

September 15, 2010 3:25:04 PM

It looks like a memory problem with the beeps occurring with and without the memory installed.

Did you clear the CMOS and then try to boot with a single stick of RAM installed?
m
l
September 15, 2010 3:25:14 PM

Have you tried shifting the RAM to different slots? My last MB required me to use slots 1 & 3 before using the other slots.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2010 11:37:43 PM

Ok thanks you two i cleared the cmos and put a single stick in, didn't work it turned out to be the slot 1 and 3 i needed to put my ram into, i was trying 3 and 4 and 1 and 2. After that i added things one at a time and everything worked and i was able to boot into the BIOS, the gpu wouldn't give any signal though (the fans were spinning)

Ok just wondering if i plug my gpu into my motherboard but hook the d sub cable into the motherboard will it work? Because i tried it but i didn't get any signal i only got a signal once i removed the gpu. If you can answer this in time thanks but i'm going to pick up my new monitor today.
m
l
September 15, 2010 11:45:36 PM

You may need to go into the BIOS (using onboard video) and look for an option that lets you choose which video source to display first. Change it to PCI express or something similar instead of onboard VGA. Shutdown, then install your card, and see if you get a signal with the monitor connected to your discreet card.

Also... did you remember to connect the power cables to the HD5850???
m
l
September 16, 2010 10:01:25 AM

Most modern motherboards with built-in graphics will automatically sense the presence of a video card and deactivate the onboard graphics.
m
l
September 16, 2010 11:22:45 AM

I got the monitor and hooked it up to the gpu and everything worked fine. The funny thing is when i was getting the gpu driver cd i saw that there was a d sub to dvi adapter lol, i can't believe that. But thanks everyong.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:50:17 AM

Ok i've got another problem. When i ran cpu-z it showed that my ram was only in single channel not dual channel and i guess it's right because the ram is in different coloured slots. But when i put the ram in the same coloured slots i get the long beebs all over again and i can't boot. So what do i do?

Does it have something to do with ganged or unganged?

Thanks again.
m
l
!