Is this really true? Please help

G

Hi All,

I recently built a gaming PC, spec is:

■Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
■Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
■Cooler Master HAF X with Coolermaster GX 750W PSU
■Asus P67 Sabertooth Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **
■G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL )
■Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5000AAKX)
■Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3)
■Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
■Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g)

Everything is working like a dream appart from 1 thing!!

When i start the PC up, the fans and lights come on, the monitor doesn't.

I then see a red light on the motherboard, and hear a click.

The fans remain on but the monitor is still in standby.

It's like the motherboard is resetting itself.

After it does this 2-3 times, the monitor then comes on and everything is perfect. no issues at all. if i reset the PC, still no problems.

The above only happens when the PC has been off for a while.

I phoned ASUS to ask if they knew why this was happening, they told me that the RAM i purchased is not 100% compatable with the motherboard, and that it was a slightly different version then the certified RAM.

RAM part number: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Please see:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/#MSL and click on the top one (GLOBAL).

He also stated that if i continued using the RAM i have, it would not damage the motherboard but it would damage the RAM at some point.

I asked him that if i ran the MEMOK feature the motherboard has, would he think this would solve the issue, he said no, it probably wont.

What do you guys think? does anyone have any expierieince using the RAM and the motherboard i purchased? should i change the RAM for another?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

alan_carter

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
MMh is that memory u got tri channel? I only read in the asus page that it's a dual channel architecture mobo. I had a problem like that using tri channel on an AM3 board.
EDIT:
Have u noticed the thing mentioned at the bottom of the g.skill site?
"*G.Skill guarantees 2 Dimms dual channel operation would reach announced specification."

It is similar to the problem i've mentioned before. I bought 2 corsair ddr3 tri channel dimms for my AM3 board, and it was ok aslong as they operated at dual channel, but if not, it'd keep bsod'in unless i removed 1Dimm