What is the cheapest case I can get away with?

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I am looking to spend as little coin as possible. Just picked up this deal from newegg: $120 for an x3 445 + BIOSTAR TA785G3HD combo.

I had a Dell e521 that I was going to upgrade, but the BTX mobo and Dell proprietary case would not do the job. I'm going to take everything from the Dell and put it in my new system.

I don't care about looks of the case at all. I'm not looking to marry it. Right now I have the Rosewill blackbone in my cart, but I'm thinking $35 is still too much.

Also, I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I will be purchasing this new case, already got the mobo, cpu, and gpu. I will be using the dvdr, hd, and I also already purchased a 700w ocz psu.

Will I need anything else to finish the build? Is thermal grease necessary? Will I need to purchase any misc. parts like screws? Will I need anything besides a screwdriver?

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Personally I never like to spend much on cases, like you I do not care about looks. I just need something that does the job well. Having said that, I would not go any lower than $35, any lower and you have a weak case and there is a good chance the fans will be too annoying to have hooked up. I had a cheap case that the fan jst made a real irritating squeeking sound.

I don't see RAM mentioned, you'll be wanting 4gb of that ideally. 2gb at the very least

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Sounds good. I will also be taking the RAM from the e521.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks, I switched the Blackbone for the Challanger, and it was only $5 more because shipping for the Blackbone was $10, and the Challanger was $5. I figure, why not.

Thanks for the combo deals, but like I said, I'm taking everything from the Dell and using it in the new system, minus the stuff I already bought (x3 445, 5770, ocz 700, biostar mobo).

If you get a retail motherboard, it should come with the cables and brass mounts.

If the x3 445 was retail, it should come with a HSF that has thermal paste already applied.

You shouldn't need much, other than screwdrivers. Other tools are nice to have, but usually not essential.

You usually get what you pay for when it comes to cases. Cheap cases usually have a single 80mm fan, or none at all. They have cheap fans, so some are loud, or sqeal (as already mentioned). The panels are usually light and easily damaged.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I ended up going with the Challanger because it was $50 shipped, compared to $45 shipped for the Blackbone.

Dalatain

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Personally if you want a REALLY cheap case, go to any locally owned computer shop and haggle a cheap case down to like 10-15 bucks. If you really want to go that cheap lol, other wise these guys have some great recommendations

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010