Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suspect Faulty Graphics Card. Radeon 4670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2010 5:15:03 AM

I suspect there may be some sort of problem with my graphics card. (Radeon 4670.)

I have recently bought Starcraft2 and have been having problems with the game every so often going blank.
The monitor then goes into DVI power saving mode.

I then hear something in the background (sounds like the sound it makes when you plug a usb drive in).
After that I can continue to hear all the sounds of the game but the monitor just won't display anything.

I think I have ruled out the monitor as the problem as I switched to using an HDMI cable instead of a DVI.
I tried reinstalling SC2 but that didn't help either.

I also thought it might have something to do with the graphics settings so I put everything on the lowest detail (still ran it at 1920x1080 thought)

What sort of programs can I use to diagnose a faulty video card?

The problem only happens in full screen SC2. It used to happen in Far Cry2 as well (albeit very rarely). But hasn't done it for a good 3 months.

Any help would be cool!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2010 7:30:59 AM

What's your power supply? It seems like you might be pushing it to its limit. Also, try reinstalling your drivers in case they've become faulty. Have you been overclocking anything? Did you check the temperatures of your system (CPU cores, graphics card core)? They might be running hot. If they are, try cleaning the inside of your computer. Blow out any excessive accumulations of dust and make sure the fans on the heat sinks of the CPU and graphics card aren't clogged.
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:01:51 AM

skolpo said:
What's your power supply? It seems like you might be pushing it to its limit. Also, try reinstalling your drivers in case they've become faulty. Have you been overclocking anything? Did you check the temperatures of your system (CPU cores, graphics card core)? They might be running hot. If they are, try cleaning the inside of your computer. Blow out any excessive accumulations of dust and make sure the fans on the heat sinks of the CPU and graphics card aren't clogged.

Hey,

Power supply is a 550 Watt something or other. I tried updating the drivers
Drivers are now Radeon 4600 series: 8.753.0.0
I have my CPU overclocked to 3 Ghz (An E5200 2.5 Ghz)

I just went into Catalyst and actually underclocked my video card to 670 Mhz
I also used manual control to put the fan up to 85%
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 9:18:50 AM

7Losses said:
Hey,

Power supply is a 550 Watt something or other. I tried updating the drivers
Drivers are now Radeon 4600 series: 8.753.0.0
I have my CPU overclocked to 3 Ghz (An E5200 2.5 Ghz)

I just went into Catalyst and actually underclocked my video card to 670 Mhz
I also used manual control to put the fan up to 85%

Check your temps.

Also, who is the manufacturer of the PSU?
m
l
August 7, 2010 6:21:23 PM

I think the simple problem is your dvi connection to the card or monitor is lose(if its tight some pin must have got bent a little. Inspect the pins properly. I suspect, the usb plug in noise means, the device get connected for sometime. Its nothing serious. GL!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2010 7:46:58 PM

^ Also possible. My first guess is overheating graphics card. Download eVGA Precision and see if the temps shoot over 90C.
m
l
August 7, 2010 11:29:38 PM

Hey

The power supply is a Codegen(?) 550 Watt.
I'm pretty sure the cable is ok as it also has problems when I switch to using an HDMI cable.

Catalyst was saying that the temperature was around 60c. But I will download eVGA Precision and see what that says.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2010 11:31:15 PM

What's the temperature under load (while playing the game for a while)?
m
l
August 8, 2010 1:52:02 AM

It got up to 62 degrees according to Catalyst playing Far cry 2 for about 2 hours
eVGA and Catalyst seem to agree about the temperature.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 8, 2010 2:00:05 AM

Well let's finish picking at straws first before we can say that the card is going bad. Have you tried playing extensively on another monitor regardless of what type of adapter input you use? You can also try the card on another computer and see if you can replicate the problem. That way you can say it's definitely the card having problems. By the way, even though 550W is surely enough to run your entire system with plenty of headroom left, don't entirely rule out the power supply because it can still be faulty.

You can stress test your card with something called Furmark, but if the card is indeed running on its fumes, Furmark might finish the job.
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 10:16:51 AM

7Losses said:
It got up to 62 degrees according to Catalyst playing Far cry 2 for about 2 hours
eVGA and Catalyst seem to agree about the temperature.

Those temps are good. Check the monitor cables and try the PC on another monitor if you can.
m
l
August 9, 2010 10:23:22 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I've played SC2 for a while now without a problem.
The issue must have been overheating although I didn't see it get above 70c.
I set the GPU clock down to 650 Mhz and also set the fan at 100% while playing the game.

Still have to play on low detail but I suppose that gives me an excuse for an upgrade :) 
Whats a good (but not expensive) upgrade from a 4670 that will give a reasonable performance boost??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2010 11:07:18 AM

7Losses said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I've played SC2 for a while now without a problem.
The issue must have been overheating although I didn't see it get above 70c.
I set the GPU clock down to 650 Mhz and also set the fan at 100% while playing the game.

Still have to play on low detail but I suppose that gives me an excuse for an upgrade :) 
Whats a good (but not expensive) upgrade from a 4670 that will give a reasonable performance boost??

HD5750
m
l
August 16, 2010 12:11:06 AM

Best answer selected by 7Losses.
m
l
!