I built my first PC a month ago it's worked perfectly since. My build was:

Asus M4A87TD/USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 955
2x2GB Corsair XMS3, 1600MHz, CL9
Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Cooler Master eXtreme 460W Power Supply
Cooler Master Elite 330 Case

However the stock CPU cooler was pretty noisy so I decided to upgrade to a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. Here's where the trouble started.

I had trouble getting the stock cooler out, after I'd unfastened the clips, it still seemed very much stuck. I spent a few minutes fiddling and eventually it came out - with the CPU stuck to it. The socket lever was still down. Needless to say I wasn't too happy about this but all of the pins appeared to be unharmed so I carried on. It took some time (although not too much force) before I finally separated the CPU from the cooler. I had some trouble applying the thermal paste, I don't think it was as well spread as it could have been, and I accidentally got some on the side of the CPU at one point, but it didn't get on the pins.

Then when it was all assembled I powered up the system and I got no post. The system did not completely fail to power up. The motherboard light came on, the PSU, case, CPU and graphics card fans all started blowing, but no bleeps (the case has a speaker) and no video. I tried resetting the CMOS and it didn't help. I also removed the RAM and go no memory error bleeps.

This looks to me very much like I destroyed my CPU in the process of removing the stock cooler. Am I right or is there any hope that there might be something I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

zamn10210

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
It's plugged into the same place the old CPU fan was. When I hit the power the CPU fan comes on, in fact the system generally looks like it's working perfectly. But no video.

The only way I know to proceed is to start swapping components out.
Start with dropping the CPU in another PC that is working if possible as that will determine if the CPU is the problem immediately.

Basic problem solving is always the same: isolate and test components until you find the bad one.

There are no computer psychics that can magically create an answer for you (that I know of).