Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Soundcard or USB headset?

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2010 1:27:41 AM

Hi,

I want to buy either a new soundcard + headphone (headset) or a usb gaming headset.

If I go for a soundcard, I will probably get the Senheiser HD555 at ~150$ or something equivalent, so I need an amp in the soundcard.

Also, I need analogue outputs for my 5.1 speakers, unless I buy a usb headset. In that case, I would keep the onboard output that isn't too bad for my speakers (Logitech X-540)

I did some research and I think that my choices are:

Soundcard:
ASUS Xonar Essence ST + H6 card - The best card but it is quite expensive. (180$ + 60$)
ASUS Xonar Xense - Not that good and expensive, but includes headphones. (300$)
AuzenTech Forte - Headphone amp is nice. (100$ deal on ebay)

Headset:
Logitech Wireless USB G930 7.1 - Wireless is nice and it's 7.1 (140$)

I will use it mostly for gaming and watching videos, through the headphones. Which one should I get? Or do you have better / more economical suggestions?

Thanks,

Cryptophix

More about : soundcard usb headset

Best solution

December 8, 2010 3:50:29 AM

You won't need any amp for the HD 555.. Having said that, I won't recommend the HD 555 for gaming use.. Its good for casual music listening purposes.. You can get yourself a Logitech G35 and be happy.. Use your on-board for your speakers.. My recommendation would however be a combination of Asus Xonar DX and Audio Technica AD700..
December 8, 2010 4:21:54 AM

Hmm, what about the D2X?

I've read that the components are a little better and it has an EMF shield. Also, I kinda like the midi port since I have a usb/midi keyboard, and I like the LEDs. But I'm not sure it's really worth paying an extra 100$ when I can get the DX for 60$.

Unless I get some confirmation that it is worth 100$, I'll probably go with the DX and I'll shop for some headphones. The AD7000 are a little expensive, but I like the "no pressure on the ears" feature.

Thanks for your help :) 

Cryptophix
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2010 8:23:33 AM

Had it been worth the extra bucks, i'd have recommended it in the first place.. IMO, its only worth its looks when you've a side window case.. Other than that, there is the Essence STX at the same price point.. It misses out from recommendation due to your requirement for analog 5.1..
m
l
December 8, 2010 11:00:31 AM

The Xense is an OK card; kinda a mis-mash of the D1/DX and D2/D2X, with the headphones thrown in.

The only problem I have with the D2/D2X is its price; with the DX going for $89, and the Forte hanging around at ~$160, its kinda at that wierd price point where its hard to reccomend.

The ST + H6 is the BEST combo, but a bit overkill if you don't need the headphone amp. Even then, you have stiff competition from the Forte [At $100, the Forte is competing against the ASUS Xonar D1/DX and HT Omega Striker, which is a clear win for the Forte].
m
l
December 8, 2010 1:14:22 PM

So I should go with the Forte if I plan on using headphones? The deal ends in 3h so I have to make a choice.

It's an opened box tho...
m
l
December 8, 2010 1:49:01 PM

Which headphones.?
m
l
December 8, 2010 1:53:44 PM

I don't know yet.

I think I'll go with the DX + AD700. From what I've read, it the best combo for the money and I don't think I really need the amp since I don't plan on listening to music. I can get the combo for 60$ + 150$, which is really nice and fits well in my budget.
m
l
December 8, 2010 2:07:35 PM

Nice combo pricing.. Especially on those excellent headphones..
m
l
December 9, 2010 9:50:43 PM

Finally I went with the DX for 60$ and the AD700 for 90$ + shipping (22$) + import (25$) for a total of 200$.

Thx for your help :) .

Cryptophix

P.S. The purple color of the AD700 is a little annoying but for the price/quality it doesn't bother me that much.
m
l
December 9, 2010 9:54:35 PM

Best answer selected by cryptophix.
m
l
!