Ugrading System, some questions

cmcghee358

Distinguished
So I'm thinking of upgrading my AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard and RAM. But I have a student copy of Win7 64 bit. I assume that this is the equivalent of an OEM version. I know that when you change your motherboard, the OEM OS flags as non-authenticated.

I've heard rumors you can get another activation key, does anyone have a link or phone number for this? I tried at microsoft.com, but for a software manufacturer their website is pretty convoluted.

2nd question:

My friend will be upgrading his computer as well, and would like to get a student copy of Win7(currently finishing his masters in business management). I can't seem to find that either, if anyone has a link that'd be awesome

While this post is up I'm going to keep digging through google. Thanks for the help!

Solution
Exactly. That's why I consider it shady to upgrade the motherboard and ask for the code to be reactivated.

I really do think that the student version wasn't an OEM version. I'd try it in a different build and see what happens. It won't have any impact on the current build or future uses.
I believe the student copy was the full version, just sold at a discount. I could be mistaken, but I don't think it's an OEM version.

You can't get a second key. You can get them to reactivate the one you have, but in my opinion, it's unethically and borderline illegal.

The link is Win741.com.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Yeah I found that link before, you click all the way through it and it takes you to Microsoft Office.

As for the unethical thing. I think I can see both sides of the case. They say that the motherboard is the heart of the computer, and by changing it you at that point are replacing the computer.

I feel that if I did a complete rebuild I could agree, but I just want to get a nice 890FX motherboard, and in turn have to get new DDR3 RAM.

/shrug

It's a gray area imo.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I think it appears it has, which is a shame because I talked it up to my bud. But the good news is he's getting an AMD 965 for $136 @ Fry's and I talked him into the GA-890FXA-UD5 rather than the ASUS Crosshair IV 890FX. So I think he has saved enough for Win7 anyways...

But the whole OS dilemma I have might prevent me from upgrading...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Quote from microsoft concerning OEM software:

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

So in my situation I would have to buy a new license. But if my motherboard failed, and I couldnt find the exact same kind to upgrade, I could get a new license.

Exactly. That's why I consider it shady to upgrade the motherboard and ask for the code to be reactivated.

I really do think that the student version wasn't an OEM version. I'd try it in a different build and see what happens. It won't have any impact on the current build or future uses.

Solution