Lexar 80X CF card

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 9:14:47 PM

Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?

Jimmy

More about : lexar 80x card

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:37:19 AM

"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
> Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
> the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?

Is that why there was no card reader in my new package? I just bought a 2GB
80X and was surprised there as no reader. I had not bought any CF for about
six months when I last bought a bunch of 40x 1GB and they all came with
readers. Yes, they were slow USB 1x but I was able to put one in each of my
camera bags as a backup. :-)
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:52:44 AM

In article <PGkCd.16307$_3.190443@typhoon.sonic.net>, nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com
says...

>"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
>> Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
>> the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?
>
>Is that why there was no card reader in my new package? I just bought a 2GB
>80X and was surprised there as no reader. I had not bought any CF for about
>six months when I last bought a bunch of 40x 1GB and they all came with
>readers. Yes, they were slow USB 1x but I was able to put one in each of my
>camera bags as a backup. :-)

Rob Galbraith ran a test on the new accelerated cards (Lexar 80X) and found
they were significantly faster than the 40X in the newer cameras Canon 20D and
Nikon D70. They didn't make much of a difference in the Canon 10D and the Nikon
D100. I bought one for Christams for a friend with a new 20D and paid $79 for a
one gig card. At that price I don't expect a reader.

Tom
January 4, 2005 8:27:38 AM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:14:47 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Jimmy Smith"
<nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote:

>Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
>the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?

Does the card say USB enabled on it? If not then it is a standard CF card.
The JS only works with USB enabled cards.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:42:15 AM

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:14:47 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Jimmy Smith"
> <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote:
>
>>Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
>>the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?
>
> Does the card say USB enabled on it? If not then it is a standard CF card.
> The JS only works with USB enabled cards.

Tested this last night: My 2GB 80x would not read on the Jumpstart reader,
either. I could read it on a no-name USB 2.0 reader.
January 5, 2005 3:44:46 AM

Jumpstart readers only work with cards that say USB-enabled on them.
Lexar did this as marketing ploy when readers weren't that common.
Now readers are so common and cheap, it probably isn't worth the extra
expense to them.
Buster

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:42:15 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:14:47 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Jimmy Smith"
>> <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote:
>>
>>>Why is the Lexar 40X 1Gig CF card compatible with the JumpStart reader but
>>>the 80X Lexar 1Gig is not?
>>
>> Does the card say USB enabled on it? If not then it is a standard CF card.
>> The JS only works with USB enabled cards.
>
>Tested this last night: My 2GB 80x would not read on the Jumpstart reader,
>either. I could read it on a no-name USB 2.0 reader.

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:57:24 AM

I have used several readers with several different CF types. The only
reader that I have had any problem with was a Jumpstart reader. It reads
Lexar cards just fine, but some other manufacturer's cards are
unrecognizable. The cards are read by other readers, but the Jumpstart
reader is being too particular or sumpin'.

Don Dunlap

"Buster" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o vdmt056ahdij09vhpujdguacne8899ovh@4ax.com...
> Jumpstart readers only work with cards that say USB-enabled on them.
> Lexar did this as marketing ploy when readers weren't that common.
> Now readers are so common and cheap, it probably isn't worth the extra
> expense to them.
> Buster
>
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:42:15 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
> <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> Does the card say USB enabled on it? If not then it is a standard CF
>>> card.
>>> The JS only works with USB enabled cards.
>>
>>Tested this last night: My 2GB 80x would not read on the Jumpstart reader,
>>either. I could read it on a no-name USB 2.0 reader.

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:14:01 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:57:24 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Don Dunlap"
<dondunlaprove@direcway.com> wrote:

>unrecognizable. The cards are read by other readers, but the Jumpstart
>reader is being too particular or sumpin'.

The JS is nothing more than a glorified connector. It only works with
USB enabled flash cards. If you look at the Lexar cards that work with
it they will clearly be marked USB enabled. Lexar also sold/sell
regular non-usb enabled cards. This and other regular CF cards will
not work with the JS. I wonder if they gave up on USB enabled cards
after 40x. The connection on my 40x card with a JS is only USB 1.1. So
I use my Archos Gmini 220 instead which is USB 2.0 Much faster
transfers.
!