Upgrade current or invest in new

Gaseraki

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hey guys.
Slight continuation from my last topic but im asking a new question and I rambled on far too much in my last one ^__^

I invested a good amount of money on my last computer in 2008

2.83ghz Q9550 intel
GA-X48-DS4
8gb DDR2 ram
HD4870x2 2gb card
900watt PSU

However my graphics card has died out of the warranty. I have acquired a single HD4870 so thats the sole GPU in the machine at the moment.
Its ok to keep my rig going but its just not got the graphics bite for me.

Two years have passed and I am willing to invest in a new rig. But I can also spend 100pounds (150 dollars) in a second 4870 and cross fire them. That could keep my computer running for another year and wait for new hardware.

The 4070x2 seemed to be quite a beast. Even coming quite close in the benchmarks of the GTX 480.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585.html
And from what I have seen 2x hd 4870s would be similar to a 4870x2

What would you guys do in my situation?
That said if I am forced to invest in a new rig I would do it properly. Intel i7 3ghz, 2x480s ect but I just dont see the benefits atm.

Wait for a few more weeks for the ATI 6 series to show up, you can get one of those but even if you don't, it will bring the prices of the current cards down too. After you buy the new video card you're set for quite a while so you can wait for the new sockets to change the other stuff.

Gaseraki

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the reply mosox
I was planning to get an Nvidia for two reasons. 3D vision and because I was let down by ATI
I have always been an nvidia man
geforce 4400, 5600, 6800 and 7600 and not a single issue. I try ATI and I get burned :(
Is my ATI negativity justified or should I aim it at the manufacturer? (force3d)

I'm very happy with ATI lately but I use 5 series cards. You can go for two GTX 460 if you want Nvidia, what's the speed of your second PCIex16 slot? Anyway you should wait a little.

Gaseraki

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Both slots are 16x however the mobo only supports crossfire.
The two 460s seem like an excellent option however they cant go past duel SLI. So no upgrade options. I do have the funds to go 2x 470 or maybe 2x480 then down the line grab another and go tri sli.
But I do agree that waiting for the ati 6 series is a good plan. I might give ATI another or they should push down the prices of the Nvidia cards.

Well, the GTX 490 was supposed to be released during the summer, but none of us really have any idea. It would be nice if they could do it quickly so that I could get a second 460 cheaper ;)

If you're looking at the best overall performance, the 470s and 480s are the way to go. The 460s were aimed at the high end of budget builders. Mine handles 3D pretty decently (I overclock it to help), but it's not powerful enough to use DirectX 11 in 3D in Metro 2033; I don't think it can handle the tessellations. Even with another I'd need to overclock them.

In terms of 3D, I would get the Asus VG236H (what I got). It's a great monitor and it comes with the Nvidia 3D package, all for $500, which makes it the cheapest 3D monitor on the market with (besides the Alienware) the best performance.

leastat

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
if you can hold out for about 6 months the 2011 line should come out and an upgrade would feel like a good jump in power