Sign in with
Your question

Help picking parts for new build

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2010 5:36:15 PM

I need help picking out parts for a new build. My 9 year old p4 has been very good to me but it's time to replace her...since she is so old I figure to build from scratch over an upgrade and being out of the loop/not keeping up whats out there for components a little help would be appreciated.
It's a pretty simple machine...it's used for mainly graphics...cs5, flexi(sign program)...and web surfing of course....no gaming or anything crazy video wise. Where I get lost picking out stuff is that I run 3 monitors and usually have multiple programs open at one time...and what's the best cpu and graphic card setup for such app i have no clue. I was thinking an i3 or i5...not a big AMD fan. I'd like to stick with a ASUS mobo....she has to be reliable.
Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: not really a concern

System Usage from Most to Least Important: graphic design layout, web surfing,music

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Country of Origin: usa

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : I would like to use an Intel CPU & ASUS mobo

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Don't Know

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Computer will be on 24/7 because of remote access, case needs to look decent, not afraid to add liquid cooling, going to run multiple (probably 3) HDD for backup and storage

More about : picking parts build

September 15, 2010 7:54:08 PM

What graphics card are you currently using? Is it satisfying your graphics needs?

Normally for your usage I would think cheap AMD quad. Intel is going to cost a bit more and probably not show much benefit.
m
l
September 15, 2010 8:08:32 PM

Eh you'd want either an AMDx4/x5 or an i7 for that usage. i5s just don't offer a ton of competitive price/performance for productivity apps.
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2010 10:02:01 PM

Nvidia geforce 3000(??) running 2 monitors and a regular old pig card running the other
Does it satisfy??? Kind of, I mean it works. Ive learned to work with what I've got.

So if i need an i7 with decent graphics should I just build a gamer???
m
l
September 15, 2010 10:07:10 PM

Needing 3 monitors is important to know. You cant do that with a single Nvidia card.

Is one of your current graphics cards a PCIE you could/would salvage for the new computer?
Is CS5 or flexi biased toward nvidia drivers or would ATI work just as well?

I wouldnt build a gamer if you dont game. It sounds like you want alot more CPU bias than a gaming machine would warrant.
m
l
September 15, 2010 11:34:19 PM

Most of my software will work with ati but you really dont see any benefit
I scavenge my better of the 2 video cards(its pci) and use it on the least used monitor...I definitely have to buy a new card to run the other 2.

As far as a processor and junk I need a recommended setup...no clue what best
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:01:47 AM

Ill give you an intel/nvidia solution since budget isnt a concern. Keep in mind that the first two quarters of next year, both intel and AMD are coming out with new CPUs that require new sockets.

i7 950 ($300)
ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard ($220)
3x2GB <6GB> DDR3-1600 cas7 or cas8 RAM ($150)
GT 460 1GB Graphics card ($230)
Seasonic SS650HT PSU ($80)
Samsung F3 1TB ($75) <if you need more, there are up to 2TB HDDs>
Haf 912 case ($60) or Antec 300 Illusion case ($70)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

An AMD motherboard and CPU with 4GB RAM would be about $200 cheaper.

I would stick an nvidia GPU since your other one is nvidia already. the 460 (1GB) is the best performance per $, but there are other options. Since I dont know enough about your software I cant reliably recommend which way to go. Maybe check on forums for those software.
480 <much faster, needs more power> ($480)
470 <faster> ($300)
460 768MB <little slower> ($170)
450 <much slower,available soon> (approx $130)

Another nice addon would be an SSD for a boot drive. An OCZ Vertex 2 or equivalent of 90GB at least for OS and applications. It will let you boot up in seconds and jump between windows faster than you can blink.

OCZ Vertex 2 90GB ($230)
m
l
!