Got a replacement, but need advice.

EtienneLF

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Last week I posted a thread about the problems I've been experiencing with my PSU. Long story short, I built a computer and after an hour of running it my spare PSU molex cable melted and busted up my PSU in turn. A week later, I got it replaced and now I just want to make sure I do everything right.
First off, I wanna make sure this doesn't happen again, whether it's my fault or just a faulty item. What are the best conditions and areas to neately tuck away spare PSU cables so that they don't obscure airflow and reduce any chances of faults? Is there any particular way to do it? And secondly what is a molex connector for? My case had this white 4-pin "double sided" connector which I can only assume is where you connect a molex. And lastly, is there anything that can cause a cable to shortout or melt?

Thanks in advance!

Molex is the name of the most famous company that mades the 4pin power connector that was used for most PC components like IDE HDDs, etc. Its like calling a facial tissue a Kleenex. Kleenex is a company, not a tissue you blow your nose on. They are still often used for case fans.

800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Unless dirt, liquid or maybe a small insect got in there and created a short, the connectors should never melt. There are companies that produce very cheap PSUs and often have manufacturing defects (bad soldering, etc) that could also be an issue.

Buying a known good quality PSU brand is a good way to reduce the chances of a problem. I also like cases with bottom PSU mounts since the excess cables can lay in the bottom of the case and are not in a position to do any harm to the rest of the PC even if there was a problem with one.

EtienneLF

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I think that I did buy a fairly decent PSU which was to my suprise that it had a fault. It was a Corsair TX650w PSU and my case is a Silverstone RV02 which basically rotates everything, mounting the PSU and all the sockets at the top.

Check that PSU very carefully. Is it really a Corsair 650 TX-C? Corsair recently changed from Seasonic building the 650TX model to another company that is not as well respected. They simply relabeled it a TX-C but dont seem to have told any of the retailers to change their information. If it is a TX-C then proximon will be very interested in your story.

Some Corsair are CWT but that one is Seasonic. They don't test every single PSU in a batch - IT'S too expensive, they test random PSUs and give the OK to all of them.

Contrary to the popular opinion the wire management doesn't give any noticeable difference in the system temperature (unless it's some old stuff on IDE with those wide ribbons).

If you want to know the OEM read the number that's below the reverse R and U label like it's shown in the first pic in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261352-13-coolermaster-460w-enough

It's written E131875

Go to this site and write the thing (e included) under the "UL File Number".

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm

For instance that Cooler Master PSU is made by Acbel.