Sign in with
Your question

PC Build Please Help ? Following Specs ?

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2010 7:31:04 PM

Am thinking of the following build all parts will be from a website called aria pc what do you think mostly will be for Gaming and video editing:

CPU:Intel Core i7 950 3.06Ghz (Bloomfield) OVERCLOCK TO 3.8GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6X58D-E Intel x58
MEMORY RAM:12GB Kingston HyperX CL9
SSD: 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5"
HDD: 2TB Western Digital Cavier Black WD2001FASS 3.5"
GRAPHICS CARD: XFX ATI 5870
CPU COOLER & FAN : ThermalRight Venomous X & 120mm Silverstone SST-AP121
PC CASE:Coolermaster HAF 922
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR 850W TX PSU
DRIVE:LG 10x Internal Blu Ray/DVD Rewriter

More about : build specs

a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2010 8:47:01 PM

Unless you know you need 12GB, you should stick with 6GB. Cooler, less power, faster. Having CL7 or CL8 RAM could help any overclocking you wanted to do, if the price is about the same.

You could downsize the case to a HAF912 and drop the PSU to a good 650W PSU unless you plan to add a second 5870.

Reviews show the Venemous X to be a decent cooler, but not better than a bunch of cheaper coolers with longer track records.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2010 11:32:43 PM

You won't need 12GB RAM; I would take that money and throw it into another graphics card in CrossFire (or SLI if you end up going Nvidia).

Like dnd says, you can drop the PSU if you don't think you'll get a second video card.

You could save a little money by going with a smaller SSD. At the moment they're really only good for your OS and a few programs (your video editing program, for example), but they shouldn't really be used for every day storage (that's what the 2TB is for). I have a 64GB SSD (got it on sale) and I've filled only half of it...
!