Memory issues and updating Bios

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Memory
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2011 10:41:46 PM

Hi everyone, first thing I have searched the forums and used the search function to no avail, but if anyone can link me in the right direction or if I have posted incorrectly please scratch this :) 

Now with that being said my problem: On my gf's pc I found she has 4gig of ram installed, yet it only reads 3gig usable, I think it may be due to an old bios (2007) but I will list the system and let someone help. If it is a bios update, I know where to go, just not what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

system details:

Windows 7 Pro, 64bit (upgraded from Xp32bit when 7 was released)

Intel core2duo E6600

Asus p5b deluxe wifi/ap mobo (bios version 1226)

4gig of corsair DDR2 1600 ram

Gtx460 1gig of ram gpu

Thanks in advance
IMA

More about : memory issues updating bios

a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 11:04:45 PM

It's not the "BIOS" thing, It's your Windows 7... Your Windows 7 is probably 32-Bit which im sure otherwise it would show 4GB total like 3.94GB or something that's close to 4GB... If it's showing something close to 2.90GB than you got 32-Bit Windows...
BTW you can try and check your MSConfig... Just google about it and you learn some stuff but If you learn to set the memory, dont even try to set it or check the box otherwise the next time you get on it, it'll turn into 250MB and you'll lag real bad when entering windows...
August 4, 2011 11:19:11 PM

thank you, but windows is the 64 bit version, on the control panel system tab, just reads 4gig (3gig usable) nothing like the 2.9 you see on the 32 bit system (ie my vista laptop). Cheers i'll look at Msconfig carefully lol
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2011 11:29:50 PM

sa0u823e said:
thank you, but windows is the 64 bit version, on the control panel system tab, just reads 4gig (3gig usable) nothing like the 2.9 you see on the 32 bit system (ie my vista laptop). Cheers i'll look at Msconfig carefully lol

LOL, You got a 32-Bit System...
August 5, 2011 8:11:35 AM

ok, well thanks for laughing, but just to inform you it is win7 64 bit and after being informed to memory remap in Bios it now uses all 4gig
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2011 4:10:49 PM

sa0u823e said:
ok, well thanks for laughing, but just to inform you it is win7 64 bit and after being informed to memory remap in Bios it now uses all 4gig

Ummm, remap? What did you do for it to show all 4GB usable lol...
!