Need Better Replacement for Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E

sweetyness

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
My HP Pavilion p6320y motherboard went out after only 14 mos. :cry: I’d like to replace it with something that would last longer than this one , if possible, but don’t want to spend a lot of money. My system specs are:

** Phenom II Quad Core 2.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 300W PSU (HP Pavilion p6320y Desktop Specs)
** HP Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E, NVIDIA 9100, AM3, DDR3, Micro-ATX Motherboard (specs)

:bounce: I’d like to:
• At least replace it with something of the same capabilities & quality, but would love to find one known to last longer, if possible. (supports 16GB mem & GeFo9rce 9100 or better graphics)

• Prefer to replace with a board that has better capabilities- if it fits and works, why not? (I am a designer with 2 monitors and wouldn’t mind faster refresh rates with better graphics card.)

I have found these boards so far that meet the requirements:
** $82/free ship: MSI 880GM-E43- Pros: better graphics: Radeon HD4250, 512mb mem; 3 yr. warranty. Cons: MSI online customer reviews say problems & low quality, seems ASUS & Gigabyte rate the best for these models… but then ASUS made the Pegatron board for HP, didn’t they?
** $103/free ship: ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3- Pros: Even better graphics: Radeon HD4250, 1GB mem; ASUS better quality?; Cons: more $ (prob worth it); not sure about warranty.

Less expensive boards on Buy.com appear to have the nForce 630a graphics card, which is not acceptable. Any other board suggestions are welcome!

My HP desktop sold as a refurbished model, but appeared new when rec’d- would that contribute to this going out so soon? I have bought refurbished before with no troubles. Also I had just finished my yearly cleanup (backed up data, fresh install of Win 7 Pro) & I set it to reload the backup before bed. The next morning it wouldn't wake up :( the fans would start for a few secs and then shut off. I had a local tech shop confirm it was the mobo after my research suggested as much. This couldn’t have led to the mobo failure, could it?

Thanks for any help or insight you can offer! I differ to your expertise to help me make sure I get one that will work! I’m pretty handy working with computers, but no tech expert. I figure knowledge is power before I start messing with it. :love: ~Jana *(sorry post is so looong....)

sweetyness

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I ended up buying the ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 from Buy.com and it is coming tomorrow. Then I will be looking for good instructions on how to install it! If anyone has a good link, please share :) Thanks!

YankeeFan

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Did you have any problems? Like the power switch plug not matching the mobo? That is the problem I have right now with my Asus mobo replacing the Pegatron mobo on my HP.

stonewright

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Did you find a solution to the power switch plub not matching the motherboard?

jond_84

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I replaced mine with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P. It fits, your original processor and RAM will work in it, the wire connectors all match up (even the front panel one works) and the only problem I had was the system fan wires being slightly short but I just untwisted the wires to get the extra half inch I needed and eveything works great. Its a cheap board too less than $70 new if you shop around. You will have to re-install windows though.