When do Newegg deals/combos usually cycle out? Like, tonight?

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Concerned, because I've been working on this build awhile, and I still wont be able to buy for another week or so. Do most of the combos/ special offers etc usually break halfway thru the month? I've noticed several that exp on 9/15

Solution
i find a lot of their combos to be rather affordable...you just have to scroll through their offerings past the heavy 'most discounts' packages. one thing to keep in mind is that if you have a sale coupon code for one item, it can't be applied to that item if it's part of a combo. the best thing to do is sign up for their email blasts.

although most of the things exclusive to people are on the newegg mailing list show the coupon codes on the site, there are some that don't and it seemingly helps to jump at some of these offerings. the latest had some good ram that i apparently didn't get to in time at a heavily discounted rate (or maybe this was by design !)

i love newegg and genuinely find that a lot of their deals are true deals...
They dont tend to end until the end of the month, but if one of the parts runs out of stock the combo will usually end. Some promo codes end at strange times that dont make sense but most combos change at the beginning/end of each month.

Which ones did you see that said their expiration date? If they were promo codes they are often only good for 24-72 hours so that makes sense.

I find that most combos go away on Mondays. Other than that, it depends. Many comobs are almost always there (XFX PSUs and XFX GPUs, Antec PSUs with Antec cases, some boards with certain CPUs, etc.). If you've watched for a while, those will be apparent.

I would say it's rare that a new combo would be added later in the week (i.e. past Wednesday). It's also rare than a combo that's up Monday or later will be taken down that week. Some exceptions are the deals that run a very long time (see the above), the ones that are practically perpetual (see above as well) and deals that don't make sense. Occasionally you can find a combo that is actually less than the main part by itself (i.e. a HDD and a SATA cable for less than the HDD).

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have to admit that most part of the time combos are made of ocz's , seagates or unaffordable stuff ... I've seen some cooler master power supply too ... those are not so good ... as for the seagate and ocz ... soso brands ... Althought Cooler Master make great computer case !

^Not really true. Those are many of the combos that are always there simply because they always have those parts in stock because they suck. There are others that are amazing ($40 off for XFX PSUs and GPUs is common). In fact, I can often find enough combos without changing out premium parts to save a good $100 in almost any build.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
^^ You are right , althought I am right too :p

I shop on newegg.ca so the combo's are sometimes different, but most part of the time they are not worth it except for processors+mobo and as you said gpu+power supply...

My point was that saving 20$ off a seagate hard drive and 4gb of ocz ram is not really worth it ... Seagate it's almost 95% sure you rma it within 2 years and ocz has failed so many times on me that I can't count the amount !

For the main subject here, you will probably find good combos to fit your need even if the one you choosed expire.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
There are some good combos: IE i5 750 + asus mobo or gigabytes but no good gpu+power supply combo... :( WHY AM I CANADIANNN

I don't even feel like a canadian after all xD
We get ripped off hard core on prices xD
You guys can get a gtx 460 768mb for 170 $, here they are 209$ !!!! Even with the ratio(which is almost 1:1) we get ripped :)

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
i find a lot of their combos to be rather affordable...you just have to scroll through their offerings past the heavy 'most discounts' packages. one thing to keep in mind is that if you have a sale coupon code for one item, it can't be applied to that item if it's part of a combo. the best thing to do is sign up for their email blasts.

although most of the things exclusive to people are on the newegg mailing list show the coupon codes on the site, there are some that don't and it seemingly helps to jump at some of these offerings. the latest had some good ram that i apparently didn't get to in time at a heavily discounted rate (or maybe this was by design !)

i love newegg and genuinely find that a lot of their deals are true deals although there are certainly a number that i have seen where i momentarily feel like i've got the clock ticking against me only to find that the item in question is similarly priced elsewhere. In addition to having great deals, newegg also REALLY knows how to get you sweating and salivating...at the same time no less!

it's a great sales technique and one that amazon is somewhat responsible for with their 'hurry! only one left in stock' tags. i had a business and our merch was carried by amazon. we would frequently see some items marked with the 'hurry, only 1 left in stock'' bait tags. the reality is that they always had several units available.

so, my advice:

1. make your build. if you're like me, fantasy purchasing is its own reward even if it is a big time sucker! i'll work on alternate builds and scratch 'em out in seconds. however, if you're time is more valuable to you and you have a limited amount of it:

a) figure out the essential ingredients and make a point of pulling the trigger on those first. if the shipping is free and you have some of the cash, there's no reason not to. these are the items for which there really is no substitute - a cpu, perhaps?

b) figure out what ingredients you have greater flexibility with- computer case, maybe? - and be willing to break brand loyalty when a deal comes along. the case is the plate your fine computing meal is served on, it has a very important role of holding the guts together and just like we know we need utensils and a dish for that fab pasta, it's the pasta we pay the most attention to and not the thing it's served on...and, of course, just as many, many different plates will keep your meal from falling on the floor (to fido's delight) , a case will do much the same for your pc. though not so generic as i make out, you get the point.

c) you shouldn't feel like you've got to do it all in one fell swoop. remember, rome wasn't build in a ...i've seen pieces from a combo reemerge with virtually the same level discount (when parsed out) as an individual item deal.

d) if you are especially interested in taking advantage of combos, spend some time looking for patterns. over just a few days or, at most, weeks, you'll see certin things paired together with slight variance by brand or exact specs. the less exact you are about the parts, the easier it will be to achieve the whole and at an easy, stress free pace.

e.) finally, to come back to your original query about timing of sales, try to think like the manufacturer and the retailer.

right now is a nice time to buy stuff. summer is over, we've entered a new season AND kids are back to school. sell through is down in general right now and the retailer and manufacturer will do everything in their power to see that as much inventory is burned through as possible between now and, frankly, the end of the year. the last thing the manufacturer wants is to have a million pallets of dead stock shipped back their way because it didn't move and newegg would, of course, rather make the sale than return the merch but you can be sure that when they have to make way for the never ending supply of new stuff, they will return whatever they have to at the end of the day. Alas, i think it's fair to say that deals will be cycling through pretty regularly for awhile.

Solution

lifeblack

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
When comparing newegg deals, I'd also like to point out that you may want to compare how good your deal is against amazon's, keeping in mind that with amazon you've generally got free shipping and no sales tax.

I've rarely seen a Newegg deal that doesn't have free shipping. Also, unless you live in CA or TX, you don't pay tax for Newegg either.

I have rarely seen a better deal any where else. Amazon's prices are on par with Newegg's (typically a bit more though), but don't have any combo deals. TigerDirect is more expensive and doesn't have very many deals. ZipZoomFly is the same. Microcenter is a viable option if you're close, but only really for Intel CPUs, as they're dirt cheap there but everything else is more expensive.

To be honest, I've given up looking at other sites. They simply can't beat Newegg's prices, selection, webiste layout or customer service.

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

yeah. i agree with this for combos and some nicely catered suggestions to each purchase. i should add that it's also just a really good site and a lot of fun to poke around in. here's what i've found the exceptions to be: on occasion, b & h betters newegg on small stuff like harddrives, buy.com seems to be a little better on occasion for monitors and as you've already mentioned, microcenter can't be beat for processors. i've never seen anything on tiger direct that hasn't been better priced on newegg. just avoid service.net for warranties.