Sony laptop notebook noise when turned off

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 11:43:31 AM

Does anyone else have a Sony laptop that makes a somewhat high
frequency, but low volume noise when it is turned off? You might have
to hold your ear to the bottom surface of the notebook to hear it.
This noise is with no power supply connected, but the battery is
installed. The noise goes away when the battery is removed. The
reason I'm asking is because on my PCG-C1MW picturebook, my battery is
getting drained when I let the computer sit with the battery in it.
The drain amounts to about half the battery capacity when sitting for a
week. I have done enough experimenting with multiple batteries that I
know for a fact that it is not just a bad battery. (They don't drain
when removed from the computer). I also hear the same type of noise
that goes away when you pull the battery on a PCG-Z505LS and a brand
new VGN-A290. I don't know about battery drain on those models.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 12:14:50 PM

Well, obviously a switching DC power supply is running when you have
the battery plugged in. Maybe this unit is the type that has no
separate CMOS backup battery, and this switcher is powering the CMOS
RAM among other things.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 1:19:07 PM

Thanks for the replies - these kind of answers sound logical to me.
Pretty sure laptop is off - gets turned off with standard Windows XP
shutdown procedure. It has to reboot back up when you turn it on. At
least it's as off as I can make it.

Battery life is same as when computer was new and actually, computer
has done this since new. I initially used the computer so often, I
never noticed any drain. When I discovered the battery draining, I (as
well as Sony tech support) blamed the battery. The 30 day battery
warranty was over, so I just lived with it. Besides, the operating
battery life seemed proper. It wasn't until I eventually got an
additional battery and owned the thing long enough, that I was sure the
computer was draining the battery. The picturebook has such a small
battery anyway that a very small drain will be much more noticeable
than on a bigger notebook.

I'm suspecting that this is just how Sony's are - that's why I'm asking
if others can hear this noise too. When I called Sony tech to ask them
if that noise was normal on that brand new A290, they said "not normal,
send in for repair" , but the guy I spoke to sounded like he didn't
know, care, or could even comprehend what I was saying. I'm not going
to bother sending it back unless I'm pretty sure something is wrong.
Sony said they didn't have any laptops there that they could listen to.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 6:24:49 PM

jcbkarl@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks for the replies - these kind of answers sound logical to me.
> Pretty sure laptop is off - gets turned off with standard Windows XP
> shutdown procedure. It has to reboot back up when you turn it on. At
> least it's as off as I can make it.
>
> Battery life is same as when computer was new and actually, computer
> has done this since new. I initially used the computer so often, I
> never noticed any drain. When I discovered the battery draining, I
> (as well as Sony tech support) blamed the battery. The 30 day battery
> warranty was over, so I just lived with it. Besides, the operating
> battery life seemed proper. It wasn't until I eventually got an
> additional battery and owned the thing long enough, that I was sure
> the computer was draining the battery. The picturebook has such a
> small battery anyway that a very small drain will be much more
> noticeable than on a bigger notebook.
>
> I'm suspecting that this is just how Sony's are - that's why I'm
> asking if others can hear this noise too. When I called Sony tech to
> ask them if that noise was normal on that brand new A290, they said
> "not normal, send in for repair" , but the guy I spoke to sounded
> like he didn't know, care, or could even comprehend what I was
> saying. I'm not going to bother sending it back unless I'm pretty
> sure something is wrong. Sony said they didn't have any laptops there
> that they could listen to.

You might take this to http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony where
other owners might have some relevant information.