Can I suspend USB power when I go into standby?

July 26, 2005 2:00:55 PM

My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
happily running. Hmm.

I looked in power options, nothing.
I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off as

the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically means

somehow turning the USB power on and off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:10:46 AM

You still get some power in standby on the USB port (pin1=power,
pin4=ground - use a voltmeter to find out how much) - I don't see how you
can turn that off unless you turn the machine off.
If those fans use only the 5V from USB and you have no other mean to
controll them, you're out of luck.
Look in DeviceManger/Universal Serial Bus Controllers/Your
Fans/Properties/Details/... drop down list to "Power Capabilities" and see
if they have S3 or any.
Since there is no hardware or software interface to controll the fans RPM, I
do not see how you can solve it the way you want - off in standby.
Michael

<jrmwillis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
> warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
> into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
> the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
> happily running. Hmm.
>

> I looked in power options, nothing.
> I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
> keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
> I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.
>

> Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off as
>
> the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically means
>
> somehow turning the USB power on and off.
>

> Anyone got any ideas?
>

> Thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:16:01 PM

Hmmm - there may be a workaround:

Use a self powered USB hub. It's just like any ordinary external hub but it
has its own power unit. It has the extra advantage of extending USB slots on
your computer so might free up clutter at the back of the machine.

I wonder if that would help?

!