How to chose a digital camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 4, 2005 3:46:39 AM

I've been trying to find a way to select cameras for comparison of the
features that are important to me, but with no success at all. Is there a
way to search for the following features:

- excellent focusing in low light with *no* white-light focusing aid
(infrared or unobtrusive red OK)
- zoom to 35mm equivalent of 35-200 or so
- auto flash that can be turned off and on easily (not through menus, etc)
- very short shutter delay (subjects move fast)
- good image quality in low light (stage spotlights)
- good reliability and sturdiness (dozens to hundreds of shots a night)

Not essential but would be nice:
- uses AA-size batteries
- CF, SmartDrive, SM, SD/MMC, or Memory Stick memory (I already have a
reader)
- orientable LCD display
- macro capability
- no digital zoom
- no movie
- no sound
- light weight

I don't especially care about the pixel size, the brand, or the shape.

Any suggestions welcome.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
| www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

More about : chose digital camera

January 4, 2005 4:08:46 AM

goto www.dpreview.com and use their Buying Guide to do comparisons.

Bob S.

"Pierre Jelenc" <rcpj@panix.com> wrote in message

> I've been trying to find a way to select cameras for comparison of the
> features that are important to me, but with no success at all. Is there a
> way to search for the following features:
>
> - excellent focusing in low light with *no* white-light focusing aid
> (infrared or unobtrusive red OK)
> - zoom to 35mm equivalent of 35-200 or so
> - auto flash that can be turned off and on easily (not through menus, etc)
> - very short shutter delay (subjects move fast)
> - good image quality in low light (stage spotlights)
> - good reliability and sturdiness (dozens to hundreds of shots a night)
>
> Not essential but would be nice:
> - uses AA-size batteries
> - CF, SmartDrive, SM, SD/MMC, or Memory Stick memory (I already have a
> reader)
> - orientable LCD display
> - macro capability
> - no digital zoom
> - no movie
> - no sound
> - light weight
>
> I don't especially care about the pixel size, the brand, or the shape.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Pierre
> --
> Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
> | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
> The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
> www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog
January 4, 2005 5:46:36 AM

"Pierre Jelenc" <rcpj@panix.com> wrote in message

> I've been trying to find a way to select cameras for comparison of the
> features that are important to me, but with no success at all. Is there a
> way to search for the following features:
>
> - excellent focusing in low light with *no* white-light focusing aid
> (infrared or unobtrusive red OK)
> - zoom to 35mm equivalent of 35-200 or so
> - auto flash that can be turned off and on easily (not through menus, etc)
> - very short shutter delay (subjects move fast)
> - good image quality in low light (stage spotlights)
> - good reliability and sturdiness (dozens to hundreds of shots a night)
>
> Not essential but would be nice:
> - uses AA-size batteries
> - CF, SmartDrive, SM, SD/MMC, or Memory Stick memory (I already have a
> reader)
> - orientable LCD display
> - macro capability
> - no digital zoom
> - no movie
> - no sound
> - light weight
>
> I don't especially care about the pixel size, the brand, or the shape.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Pierre

Sounds like you need a digital SLR - and one with a large enough (and good
enough) sensor such that noise is not an issue at high ISO (so you can shoot
in low light).

Now, I am a little biased here (since I own one), but I would recommend a
20D - It has everything you require from your "essential" requirements
(except the AF assist uses flash strobing which you dont like). The focal
lengths are not an issue since you can get any lenses you want. If you want
a fast, durable, low noise and flexible camera and you dont care about size,
I really see no other option than DSLR. I would recommend Canon 20D or Nikon
D70. I would pick D70 over Canon 300D/Rebel simply because build quality is
not there in the Rebel (plastic & made in Taiwan), but if budget is tight,
the 300D makes a terrific camera compared to a P&S model. Go to
www.dpreview.com and start reading. My suggestion is take your time.
January 4, 2005 6:07:33 AM

Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> I've been trying to find a way to select cameras for comparison of the
> features that are important to me, but with no success at all. Is there a
> way to search for the following features:
>
> - excellent focusing in low light with *no* white-light focusing aid
> (infrared or unobtrusive red OK)
> - zoom to 35mm equivalent of 35-200 or so
> - auto flash that can be turned off and on easily (not through menus, etc)
> - very short shutter delay (subjects move fast)
> - good image quality in low light (stage spotlights)
> - good reliability and sturdiness (dozens to hundreds of shots a night)
>
> Not essential but would be nice:
> - uses AA-size batteries
> - CF, SmartDrive, SM, SD/MMC, or Memory Stick memory (I already have a
> reader)
> - orientable LCD display
> - macro capability
> - no digital zoom
> - no movie
> - no sound
> - light weight
>
> I don't especially care about the pixel size, the brand, or the shape.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Pierre

You didn't mention size or weight preferences, so if that isn't
important, you might check into such DSLRs as Nikon and Canon. BTW,
listing negatives (no movie, no sound) as preferences is just plain
useless. Even if they are present, you aren't forced to use them....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> writes:

> You didn't mention size or weight preferences, so if that isn't
> important, you might check into such DSLRs as Nikon and Canon. BTW,

Thanks to all who answered; the dpreview.com buying guide looks like what
I was hoping for.

> listing negatives (no movie, no sound) as preferences is just plain
> useless. Even if they are present, you aren't forced to use them....

True, but they do add complexity (i.e. things that can break and take the
whole system down, and more intricate menus that make finding the needed
settings more difficult.)

Pierre
--
!