Phenom II X6 1055T OC 3.3 *with* Turbo-core (stable)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greetings.
I am probably going to buy an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. I want to overclock it at-least to the X6 1100T BE's stock frequency i.e. 3.3GHz. But I want to retain Turbo-core. What is the max I can overclock it to while retaining Turbo-Core?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

I think you are good to go.

14x240MHz

16.5x240MHz

It will do the high-end but the volts might get ugly, so I suspect most folks would recommend disabling Turbo and running all cores 14x240MHz or so (and up depending upon your motherboard & RAMs) if you are planning on gaming - I believe the same goes for video transcoding, too.

The thinking is voltage control. Turbo works by adding a pstate with a voltage & multiplier bump. If you can control the bump with...

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

From what I understand, turbo core just steps up the multiplier/vcore when half or less of the cores are being heavily utilized, while down stepping the multiplier/vcore of the other half of the cores.
That being said, I don't think you'll have any problems unless you get a bit too courageous with the OC and have inadequate cooling. It operates sort-of like CnQ does, and I know CnQ works perfectly fine even when you OC the multi/FSB.

edit: erp, wasn't quite answering your question there. . .
I don't think there's really a hard-set max, and if there is, it's way out there. It will be mostly dependent on your cooling performance, which shouldn't be too bad because turbo is made to balance the cores so as to not increase heat and power draw too much relative to its normal clock mode.

I think you are good to go.

14x240MHz

16.5x240MHz

It will do the high-end but the volts might get ugly, so I suspect most folks would recommend disabling Turbo and running all cores 14x240MHz or so (and up depending upon your motherboard & RAMs) if you are planning on gaming - I believe the same goes for video transcoding, too.

The thinking is voltage control. Turbo works by adding a pstate with a voltage & multiplier bump. If you can control the bump with something like phenom msr tweaker you are good to go. Otherwise, the x6 will tend to run 1.5v on Turbo'd cores with a substantial over-clock. That's a bit beyond my comfort range.

6 cores without Turbo 14x250MHz - 3.5GHz/1.38v ain't slackin' (and you've cut back the volts substantially,) and is good bump over stock. A nice boost also comes with the bump in speed by the IMC/NB. The gain from any "Turbo'd" core begins to minimize.

I'm not sayin' you can't have a little fun ...

785g-evo_x6-4-2GHz.jpg

but 1.5v is not a long-term proposition, and I'm pretty good at getting the volts down :D but it wasn't happening here. AMD introduced a new lower-capacitance gating with this stepping and less volts is advised, not more.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.