Computer will not boot at all, nothing

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I turned off my computer to reboot it. When I pressed the power button on the tower to start it again, nothing happened. No post, no nothing. I already troubleshooted for the basic stuff I think......good power cord, no loose connections inside the machine, blew away the dust with compressed air. The motherboard is showing a green light, which I assume means it is getting power.

The only "unusual" thing that has been happening in the last two bootups is that when the computer posted, instead of going directly to the hard drive for Windows after the post, it would hang on the "hit f1 to enter bios, hit f2 to continue with default settings." I thought it was a "stray electron" thing at the time, and thought nothing of it.

This has happened once before. I tried to boot the computer by pressing the power button but absolutely nothing happened. I went to bed, woke up the next day, pressed the power button and it worked fine.

Any advice appreciated! I hope I am posting in the right section.

My build:
Windows XP
Asus P5wDH Deluxe motherboard
Corsair DDR2 memory 4gb
ATI HD5870
Intel quad core
WD Raptor
BFG 650W power supply

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Well, I could but not easily. I'd have to buy one I guess. I was hoping it might be something "easier" before I buy another one.

One thing I was thinking was the little battery on the MB. What happens when that thing dies? I think the MB and the battery are about 4 years old?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Oh, I agree it's the cheaper :) I guess I was asking someone who knows far more than me whether or not replacing that battery even makes sense. Will a bad battery not allow a computer to turn on or post?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

OK, here's a curve ball for you. I was going to my toolbox to get my voltmeter to check the V of the battery I was about to take out to see if that was the problem, and when I walked back to my computer, which was plugged in, it booted up by itself and now works fine.

Is my computer haunted? What direction should I go with the troubleshooting now? Do bad motherboard batteries or a bad power supply cause stuff like this to happen?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Thanks for that suggestion.......take a look what I wrote just below your post to me and let me know what you think?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

OK, if it does it again, I'll try the battery replacement and then the PSU. Thanks again.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Thanks aford. I checked for all of that before, but no luck as everything "appeared" to be connected. It just powered up all by itself as I had it laying on its side for about 30-45 minutes.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Thank you, I didn't know that. Per my problems above, when I was pressing the power button, I wasn't getting any spinning fans, or lights on the front panel or beep codes or anything. Just a steady green light on the motherboard.