4890 for physics only

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 6:02:51 PM

Is it possible to use a 4890 for physics processing on a system with a 5870 as the main gpu???
I'm talking about offloading the gpu accelarated physics like DirectCompute and open CL to the 4890.

More about : 4890 physics

August 7, 2010 6:06:36 PM

What physics processing are you talking about Physx then its only available in Nvidia cards
Score
August 7, 2010 6:17:15 PM

You must use a nvidia graphics card as second card if you want to use physix
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 7:01:47 PM

king game said:
What physics processing are you talking about Physx then its only available in Nvidia cards

clement4413 said:
You must use a nvidia graphics card as second card if you want to use physix

apparently you two didn't read what he was talking about, he was talking about DirectCompute and OpenCL which are cross-vendor (and OpenCL is cross platform)

@OP, i don't think anyone uses either DirectCompute or OpenCL yet for physics in games so you might have to wait for it before putting the 4890 in, what you could do though is Folding@Home or Milkyway@Home (part of BOINC) until a game developer decides to use one of these technologies
Score
August 7, 2010 7:02:25 PM

if you mean physx ati cards doesnt support it in your case if you have the money to buy 4890 card i reccomend you to get 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX or GTS 250
this cards will be more than enough to run physx chose the right one for you and google how to use physx with ati card
but if you mean physics you dont need another card with your HD 5870 the HD 5870 can run games built in physics engine like re5 smoothly or if you want DirectCompute and open CL your hd 5870 has ati stream technology it will be perfect you dont have to get expensive card like 4890 for DirectCompute and open CL the hd 5870 will be just perfect
good luck
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 7:13:19 PM

johnnyq8 said:
if you mean physx ati cards doesnt support it in your case if you have the money to buy 4890 card i reccomend you to get 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX or GTS 250
this cards will be more than enough to run physx chose the right one for you and google how to use physx with ati card
but if you mean physics you dont need another card with your HD 5870 the HD 5870 can run games built in physics engine like re5 smoothly or if you want DirectCompute and open CL your hd 5870 has ati stream technology it will be perfect you dont have to get expensive card like 4890 for DirectCompute and open CL the hd 5870 will be just perfect
good luck

1) he said nothing of PhysX (read the damn post)
2) he probably wants to be able to play games when using OpenCL/DirectCompute
3) the OP needs to respond back saying what application he is using that can use OpenCL/DirectCompute physics processing, i don't know any that i can think of
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 7:57:19 PM

I already own a 4890 and I'm going to buy a 5870 very soon.Also I don't want to throw away my 4890 right now.So I was wondering if I could use my 4890 as a dedicated physics processing(openCL and DirectCompute) card on my intel P55 chipset.
Although there are no games using DirectCompute or open CL till date but many of the
upcoming games will use DirectCompute like Battlefield3 etc.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 8:07:02 PM

sayantan said:
I already own a 4890 and I'm going to buy a 5870 very soon.Also I don't want to throw away my 4890 right now.So I was wondering if I could use my 4890 as a dedicated physics processing(openCL and DirectCompute) card on my intel P55 chipset.
Although there are no games using DirectCompute or open CL till date but many of the
upcoming games will use DirectCompute like Battlefield3 etc.

well i suppose you could hang on to it for now (in an anti static bag), or you could use Milkyway@Home as it can utilize ATI cards very well (one WU was something like 13min), or you could use Folding@Home even though ATI cards don't get utilized well

though i really don't know any applications that are using OpenCL or DirectCompute, though the Frostbite 2.0 engine will use deferred shaders and DirectCompute (this would be for Battlefield 3 like you said), if you develop software at all you could try learning how to use OpenCL or DirectCompute
August 7, 2010 9:31:33 PM

mindless728 said:
1) he said nothing of PhysX (read the damn post)
2) he probably wants to be able to play games when using OpenCL/DirectCompute
3) the OP needs to respond back saying what application he is using that can use OpenCL/DirectCompute physics processing, i don't know any that i can think of

you probably didnt read my comment well because i talked about physx and physics and there is no game using OpenCL/DirectCompute
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 9:57:46 PM

johnnyq8 said:
you probably didnt read my comment well because i talked about physx and physics and there is no game using OpenCL/DirectCompute

i did, and there was no reason to bring up PhysX, and i gave a reason for keeping the 4890 in there, but yeah, with no game utilizing OpenCL or DirectCompute for physics it is kind of a waste of a slot unless he finds something to do with it
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 10:53:02 PM

Even if you could do it ... if the result is anything like what happens with Nvidia cards, it's probably not worth it.

That is to say, there was a group of people experimenting to find out what would happen if you have a good Nvidia card as your main card, and you use a second Nvidia card as a dedicated Physx card. It tended to result in no performance increase (sometimes a decrease) and generally the only thing it accomplished was to use more power and generate more heat.

I know we're not talking about Physx here, but I'm guessing the principle is the same: Get a second card involved to handle a periphery task like this, and the added complexity of your setup offsets whatever minor performance gain you would've seen. In other words, dedicated physics/Physx/whatever cards are only very useful if you're covering up a gap in ability (like your main card not supporting Physx, though as for how "useful" Physx really is, that's another whole debate in itself).

That's my guess, anyway.

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 4:24:23 AM

I have CF 4890... For engineering extensive math calculations i use my 8800GT and GTX 280C. The software that i use is Mathlab.

The Nvidia cards are on separate computers where i run mathlab applications.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 4:28:20 AM

@sayantan, The simple answer is no, there is no point.
Score
August 8, 2010 4:43:19 AM

Don't buy a HD 5870. buy another HD 4890. in CF it will outperform one HD 5870.

This is the best way to utilize your HD 4890 i guess.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 8:34:07 AM

+1^Hmmm,I think I need to reevaluate my decision.
Score
August 8, 2010 11:18:45 AM

Quote:
2 4890 will perform similar to 5870.crossfire 4890 will have 1600shaders combined same as 5870.Crossfire scaling is also not same in all game.It will consume more power.no direct x11.Also 2 4890 will have combined 956+956 transistor which will be less than 2154 of 5870 transistor.

You made the calculations logically, which does not makes any effect in real.

See the graph below how the 4870X2 outperforms one 5870 :

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 11:33:33 AM

If you want to use that current 4890 of yours, then you have to get another one for crossfire as you cannot crossfire different generations of ATi cards.
Score
August 8, 2010 11:48:14 AM

johnnyq8 said:
good luck

hey johnnyq8,

to use Physx ,you need two Nvidia GPUs.
So there is no point in buying an nvidia card for the @OP.

And @OP , which is your Motherboard?
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 2:06:26 PM

I do have CF capable mobo (intel P55 chipset) but like anyone else I also prefer single card solution.Thats why I was asking about 5870 as main gpu and 4890 for physics.Sadly it is not possible!!!
Score
August 8, 2010 2:27:30 PM

yeah,sell it on ebay and use the money to buy something else,may be an SSD or you could save the money you get for the future.

Other thoughts: ATi is supposed to release the 6*** iterations of their GCards soon,so holding on for some time is a viable option.Your 4890 will hold good for the timebeing.Just my two cents though.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 7:50:34 AM

Best answer selected by sayantan.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 3:10:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!