VIRTUAL MEMORY SETTINGS

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi Folks,

I have been getting frequent messages telling me I have run out of virtual memory.

I am running XP with 4GB DDR2 800. My HD is 500GB.

I went to the Virtual Memory page through Control Panel, Systems, etc and it tells me that my recommended Paging File size is 4990MB.

But, when I try and increase it to that number I am prevented doing so and a window opens telling me I may not go higher than 4096MB and it will not accept any attempt I make to go above that.

Any ideas anyone??

Thank you.

Ian

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It's because there may not be files, larger than 4GB in the windows file system. You can't set your swap size to ~5GB having just one swap file. If you want to go to larger swap you'll need to create another swap file on another logical drive.
But I think it's better to buy more RAM if 4GB is not enough for you.

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
The RAM is already past the maximum that XP can use. Also, this is a very new problem and I have not added anything - hard or soft - to my PC for ages.

Can you direct me to where I can find out how to create another swap file?

Thanks

How often do you reboot? You evidently have an application that's using up much more memory than it should, and rebooting once a day might limit the consequences. Otherwise, you can try to find out which program is the offender.

If you only have one drive, you can only have one swap file.

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks folks.

Only have one hard drive and I reboot every day.

What is and how do I 'enable PAE'?