NVidia GeForce 9800GT 1MB

songgoddess

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hello,

I just purchased an nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1MB. After installing the driver it tells me I need to restart.
When I restart a blue screen comes up telling me that there is a problem caused by new hardware or software
with memory management and I need to start up in Safe Mode to resolve the problem.

Why is this happening and what do I do about it?

Jamie

songgoddess

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
My son built this computer for me so not sure about the motherboard.
From what he told me there should be no problem with my system running
this video card.

I'm using the most recent version of the driver.
I have all the most recent updates for windows.

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Did you download driver from CD that came with Graphics Card?
Anyway, try this. If you can boot w/o blue screen in safe mode and still have internet access. Go to "Control Panel" in start menu. Then click on "System". Then "System Properties". Then "Device Manager". Then find your "display adapters". Double click your Graphics Card. Then click on "Driver". Click on "Update Driver". If most current driver is installed and still don't work after reboot try same thing as above but use "Roll Back Driver". This should roll back to the older driver that was working before your attempted driver update. Hope it works for you.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
First you should check if your current power supply can even handle the graphics card. Also check the GPU connection and make sure the GPU is connected to the first PCie 2.0 closest or nearest to the CPU.

Then if all is well, check the driver and see if it is the current and also the KIND(9xxx series class driver) or re-install the driver as you would be installing the 8xx and 9xxx nvidia drivers, not the gtx2xx or the gtx4xx drivers.

Then follow the instructions as posted by the above poster (rreeder) as his instructions are perfect for checking the latest drivers for the 9xxx series gpu and troubleshoot. If its still not working then I assume you have a conflicting program installed, check as you might have had an ATi driver or a previous Nvidia driver from an older graphics card, make sure you un-install all oder drivers as well.

It's a unified driver these days mate, the current is 258.96 and it supports the 6, 7, 8, 9, 2xx and 4xx series cards.

songgoddess

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Here is the blue screen error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Memory_Management

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart computer. If this appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new install ask hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continues disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advance start up options and then select Safe Mode.
I consulted with the person that built my computer before I bought the new video card. It is compatible with everything.

That doesn't tell us anything but you're right in that it is the message displayed in a BSOD. :lol:

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Which power supply unit do you have??? It should be atleast 400watts or more.Ensure properly.If not then get a new and try again.If your PSU is correct then do the following steps:

1 Remove your 9800gt
2 Boot the system with integrated graphics card i.e connect your monitor to other CRT connector
3 download driver sweeper
4 make sure there are no viruses on your current Operating system
5 download the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia site.(your problem may be related to old or corrupted drivers in the driver installation CD)
6 Uninstall existing nvidia drivers. To do so, go to add or remove programs option in control panel and remove nvidia drivers.It will prompt you to restart.go ahead.
7 After restarting,run driver sweeper and check in Nvidia-display and Nvidia-Physx.....leave the nvidia-chipset unchecked.
8 Click analyze button. make sure everything is checked.
9 click clean button. after that it will again prompt you to restart.go ahead and do so.
10 After restarting,Install the downloaded drivers and restart.

It should work now.
If it works, install Physx also.
If it doesn't then it is surely the problem of your PSU.
And yes, make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements for running 9800gt.They are written on the back of graphics card box or carton.
make sure there is no dust inside the cabinet.
And I guess u mean 1gb instead of 1mb :lol: