GeForce 250 GTS Overheating

Prometheus91

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hey, I recently installed a GeForce 250 GTS graphics card with my computer and it is encountering severe overheating problems.

When I say severe, I mean, the system is autoshutting itself down to prevent damage. Or at least that is what I think is happening.

The card was having overheating problems with my higher graphics games, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Sims 3(Setting the graphics down fixed the problem on this one) but the problem just occurred in Counter-Strike: Source, it's a 6 year old game, and it was running fine.

I always have Xtreme Tuner open in my high graphic games to monitor the temperature and make sure it isn't getting above 85, but not in CS:S, so now that a game with such lowly graphics as this is overheating the card, I'm starting to believe that my card is faulty.

I've included some pictures, note they aren't the best, to try and help you since I really don't know what to call my case size or anything. I've even tried opening the side to allow more airflow inside, but I guess it didn't help. I love the card, it can play all my games on higher graphics, but is it faulty or is it going to be the same if I get a replacement? I would be happy to post more pictures if needed.

I am dying not to switch back to my old crappy ATI Radeon HD 4670. It was terrible. I don't think this is the problem, but I don't know what my power source is, or if it is even enough for my card, but I'm not sure how that would cause overheating unless the lack of power was limiting the fan speeds. My computer is a Studio XPS 435MT.

DSCN3951.jpg

DSCN3952.jpg

I just looked up my computer specs (Like I should have done before) and it says that I have a 360 watt power supply, but the specs also show a different graphics card than the one I had installed with factory the 4670. I'm not sure what to believe.

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
What's that power supply? That could be the reason... If the card requires more additional power while intense graphics like BFBC2 and the PSU can't supply or the graphics will crash or the PC will shut down... Another factor is the heat... How many other fans do you have in your system?

Prometheus91

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
2 extra fans.

I'm looking on nVidia's website and it appears they don't have any graphics cards to accommodate the power supply that my computer apparently has(I'm not even certain what the power supply is, how do I find it?).

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Yeah, it is your PSU... You should definetely buy a new one before that one burns your GTS... Do you have a budget for the PSU? we could help you choose a good one..

That should work. Looking at your pictures the card seems to be very close to the bottom of the case, is there more than one PCIe slot on that board? If not then it might be worth checking for dust build up on the cards HSF.