Intel 330 ssd slow boot

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hello everybody,
I have an intel 330 series ssd and I feel that my boot is slow. When I look at other people's boot with a similar setup their windows logo skips halfway through the boot. On my setup, the windows logo finishes forming and it takes about 3 seconds to boot after it forms. When I look at the HDD led it only starts flashing when the windows logo forms. I have enabled AHCI in bios and the only thing plugged in is my dvd drive and my 1TB hard drive (for data). What can be causing this problem? Here is my setup:
Motherboard: MSI z77-GD65
Ram: Kingston Hyperx 16GB (1600mhz)
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K (overclocked to 4,2 GHZ)
Video Card: Gigabyte 6950 (overclocked version)
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 750W
HDD: 1TB (for storage)
SSD: Intel 330 series ssd 120GB

Thanks.

Solution

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Is it a new Windows install or an old one? A new install can make a big difference.

Also, update your motherboard and ssd firmware if you haven't already. There have been improvements on both ends for solid state drives. Then run the Intel speed test software (can't remember the name, but it came with your drive).

I recommend following this guide for optimizing your SSD as well, you don't even need the Windows logo screen to come on, its taking up precious seconds: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hello helz IT,
I used intel's data migration software to copy my data over to the new ssd. My old ssd was a intel x25-v (40gb). My ssd firmware is updated and my motherboard is one version down because I read in forums that it causes problems. In my bios I have an option that states "external sata 6gb/s ports" and in its options it also has AHCI mode. Can that be my problem?

Your motherboard has four SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports. Make sure your SSD is connected in AHCI mode to one of the 2 Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA1 or SATA2), not one of the ASMedia 6Gb/s ports (SATA7 or SATA8).

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Hello Dereck47,

My ssd is connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports in AHCI mode.

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

How do you do that and what does it do?

Bner666

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Open up CMD and copy/paste/type, fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1

The creation of 8.3 filenames and directories for all long filenames and directories on NTFS partitions may decrease directory enumeration performance.

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I looked at your method on microsoft support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007 and it does not work with windows 7 from what it says. But I don`t think that that would be my problem. The thing is that my windows should be booting faster. It should even skip the boot logo halfway through since my ssd is 6gb/s and since I have it plugged in to the intel port in AHCI mode. Unless it`s because I used their data migration software, but yet again, I came from another intel SSD so I don`t think a fresh install would have changed something.

amdphenomkde

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Hi cena500,

I know you said you used Intel's migration software, but a clean install is always best because you're still copying old system files over. It's like upgrading from Vista to 7 or from 7 to 8. A clean install reduces the bloat. Just use an external hard drive or flash drive if you have one and do a clean install and put the files back on, and it should be ok. Also, if you go to YouTube and watch SSD boot videos, about half of them have the Windows logo form before it moves on, so I encourage you to look up "SSD boot Windows 7" on YouTube and see for comparison.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r40d3ay5_K4

Happy New Year!

Solution

cena500

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Thank you very much amdphenomkde. Happy new year to you too! I think I will just stick to what I have now because I don't feel like reinstalling everything again. Thanks again :wahoo: