Trouble shooting HP G60 laptop MB

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
My son has an HP G60 laptop that will not power up. The power on and battery charge lights light up and the HD light comes on momentarily but does not stay on. He tells me he got a recovery notice at bootup (NOT a bogus virus warning) and followed instructions. No problem found. Computer continued to have stability problems so son formatted HD and reloaded Vista OS. Worked for a short time then would not power up. When he gave to me the PS did not work. Replaced that but still will not boot up.

I am thinking the BIOS is not working, otherwise the laptop should boot to BIOS screen. Could be the monitor though. Advice on another website said to remove and reconnect the keyboard and touch pad ribbon connectors. Am thinking the monitor is connected the same way and removing / reconnecting the monitor ribbon connector will help. Tried to take laptop apart but could not. Removed all screws from the bottom but must be missing something.

Will try connecting another monitor to see if laptop boots up. Will also try removing HD and memory and see if it boots. If it does, will add one component at a time to see what is causing the problem.

If not, what else can I do to ID the problem?

Am not a computer tech but worked as an electronics tech for 12 years, have been building desktops for over 10 years and maintain computers for friends and family. Have never worked on a laptop before but want to try.

Solution
There are only a few things that can be done 'economically'.
1. Remove the Battery and boot only off the A/C Adapter ; bad battery
2. Disconnect the HDD and boot in to BIOS ; chances are bad HDD
3. Try replacement RAM IF only (1) stick <or> swap (1) stick per boot ; bad RAM
--
4. Disconnect Battery, A/C Adapter, and disconnect CMOS Battery 10 minutes ; corrupted BIOS

IF the above fails to identify the problem replacing the MOBO, CPU or Display is cost prohibitive; new Notebook.

Unlike a Desktop, Notebook parts & labor cost exceeds on a the replacement cost.
There are only a few things that can be done 'economically'.
1. Remove the Battery and boot only off the A/C Adapter ; bad battery
2. Disconnect the HDD and boot in to BIOS ; chances are bad HDD
3. Try replacement RAM IF only (1) stick <or> swap (1) stick per boot ; bad RAM
--
4. Disconnect Battery, A/C Adapter, and disconnect CMOS Battery 10 minutes ; corrupted BIOS

IF the above fails to identify the problem replacing the MOBO, CPU or Display is cost prohibitive; new Notebook.

Unlike a Desktop, Notebook parts & labor cost exceeds on a the replacement cost.

Solution

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thank you!!!!! It was the BIOS that needed to be reset. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Have done it a couple of times trouble shooting MB's but have only seen that to work once or twice (now 3 times) in 10 years so it wasn't on my radar.

Before posting I tried to remove the LAN card and dropped a screw inside the laptop. (Is it normal to have foil from the LAN card attached to the screw standoff? Can't remove LAN card even if both screws are removed without breaking the foil.)

Can't open the case. Have removed all the screws on the bottom of the computer, including the ones under the battery but can't get the case to come apart. What am I missing? Another web site said there may be a screw under a "warranty void" sticker but that does not seem to be the case. Was also told some HP laptops have release slides somewhere that need to be slid over to open the case. Looked but don't see anything. It's most likely something simple that is being missed.

Also, do I need to remove the screws that have the keyboard icon next to them? Removed them once but thinking taking them out may cause the keyboard connector to come loose.

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
One more thing. The default function for the Power Icon is to put the computer to sleep. There is a sub menu that allows sleep, hibernate, log off, change users and turn computer off to be selected. Is there a way to select OFF as the default function?

It is normal for the LAN Card and similar EMR producing cards to be shielded either from 'foil' or copper screening.

As far as taking it apart, I'd have to see it which is not possible. Some Notebooks have latches, catches, etc - you might look under the keyboard. It's been a while since I pulled one apart.

If the screw is moving about then it's not a 'good' idea to let it 'short' or 'stop' something inside.

Look in the Advanced Power Options tab, you can assign function. I prefer the Power to Shutdown and the Lid closed to Hibernate, but those are my preferences. Example - if the Lid only sleeps then 9.9/10 when you need something the battery is going to be dead...

Good Luck! :)

harleyski

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

HI I'M PETER AND AFTER 1 BLACK SCREEN 2NO POWER 3 3COMPLETE DISASSEMBLY-TEST + POWER TO MB-NOTHING NO LIGHTS 4REPLACE ON/OFF/WLAN WARRIOR POWER BOARD STILL NOTHING ???? HELP

harleyski

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
i can purchase an extpact mb for <=100.0....if atleast 1 power (warrior on/off/wlan) is good, HOWEVER I KNOW THE TP but no values ANYONE KNOW? IT SHOULD WORK..I HOPE...I'M RELLY GREATFULL FOR THE HELP INFORMATION. ,....i have the tp but no values FOR THE MB @#$%^&....100 more as appossed to min. $400 to replace...I MAY NEED FURTHER HELP AFTER A NEW MB....THAT MAY OCCUR AFTER I FOLLOW AND DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING YOU BRIGHT INDIVIDUALS HAVE TOLD ME...THANK YOU. I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A USED MACHINE FOR< 200$ BUT I GOT LOCKED OUT.