Tale of the 2 laptops

Hi folks

Need some advice about a laptop with a broken factory seal. We got a
toshiba laptop from bestbuy a few days ago. However a few days later we
found a better deal on the same laptop at CompUSA and bought the same
model toshiba. The latter laptop seems to have the toshiba factory seal
broken and then *cleverly* resealed. Now I am in a dilema about which
one to keep. The difference in price is 10%. Anyone has the inside
scoop on this ?

In one scenario I can think of, the CompUSA laptop is a returned item -
maybe due to too many dead LCD pixels. The store decided to simply
reseal and resell. Here's some pictures :

CompUSA laptop with broken seal - resealed:
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_030B9BC502.jpg

BestBuy Laptop shows how toshiba seal actually looks like
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg

Together
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg

2 more shots of the broken seal
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0309CD5E02.jpg
Thanks for your time and knowledge !

Regards
Debjyot
5 answers Last reply
More about tale laptops

    Ignore this message - the pictures got mixed up. Reposted message with
    same title later.

    Thanks...

    Ignore this message - the pictures got mixed up. Reposted message with
    same title later.

    Thanks...

    Ouch, I believe either places will charge u 15% restocking fee for any
    open item. How do they know YOU did not open it? U got a prayer's
    chance if the items inside are sealed themselves otherwise, oiy.

    What makes you think that you will be able to return EITHER one of them?

    GotsE wrote:

    > Hi folks
    >
    > Need some advice about a laptop with a broken factory seal. We got a
    > toshiba laptop from bestbuy a few days ago. However a few days later we
    > found a better deal on the same laptop at CompUSA and bought the same
    > model toshiba. The latter laptop seems to have the toshiba factory seal
    > broken and then *cleverly* resealed. Now I am in a dilema about which
    > one to keep. The difference in price is 10%. Anyone has the inside
    > scoop on this ?
    >
    > In one scenario I can think of, the CompUSA laptop is a returned item -
    > maybe due to too many dead LCD pixels. The store decided to simply
    > reseal and resell. Here's some pictures :
    >
    > CompUSA laptop with broken seal - resealed:
    > http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_030B9BC502.jpg
    >
    > BestBuy Laptop shows how toshiba seal actually looks like
    > http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg
    >
    > Together
    > http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg
    >
    > 2 more shots of the broken seal
    > http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0302D35C02.jpg
    > http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_46171_Image_number_0309CD5E02.jpg
    > Thanks for your time and knowledge !
    >
    > Regards
    > Debjyot

    Neither of them were opened, so the return process should be
    problemfree. I actually returned the resealed laptop to CompUSA and
    told them they need to mark resealed laptops either as refurbished or
    returned.

    Isn't buying laptops similar to Schrodinger's cat problem ? I am
    currently debating on whether to open the best buy package - just came
    to know that the toshiba A75-s209 model suffers from freezes due to
    static discharge thru the metal speaker grills/touchpad.
    Desktops are so much easier to buy/build than laptops....

Laptops Toshiba Product