Tale of the 2 laptops

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Toshiba
  • Product
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 8:32:24 PM

Hi folks

Need some advice about a laptop with a broken factory seal. We got a
toshiba laptop from bestbuy a few days ago. However a few days later we
found a better deal on the same laptop at CompUSA and bought the same
model toshiba. The latter laptop seems to have the toshiba factory seal
broken and then *cleverly* resealed. Now I am in a dilema about which
one to keep. The difference in price is 10%. Anyone has the inside
scoop on this ?

In one scenario I can think of, the CompUSA laptop is a returned item -
maybe due to too many dead LCD pixels. The store decided to simply
reseal and resell. Here's some pictures :

CompUSA laptop with broken seal - resealed:
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...

BestBuy Laptop shows how toshiba seal actually looks like
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...

Together
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...

2 more shots of the broken seal
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
Thanks for your time and knowledge !

Regards
Debjyot

More about : tale laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 8:47:55 PM

Ignore this message - the pictures got mixed up. Reposted message with
same title later.

Thanks...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 8:49:21 PM

Ignore this message - the pictures got mixed up. Reposted message with
same title later.

Thanks...
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 3:11:44 AM

Ouch, I believe either places will charge u 15% restocking fee for any
open item. How do they know YOU did not open it? U got a prayer's
chance if the items inside are sealed themselves otherwise, oiy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 1:44:23 AM

What makes you think that you will be able to return EITHER one of them?

GotsE wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Need some advice about a laptop with a broken factory seal. We got a
> toshiba laptop from bestbuy a few days ago. However a few days later we
> found a better deal on the same laptop at CompUSA and bought the same
> model toshiba. The latter laptop seems to have the toshiba factory seal
> broken and then *cleverly* resealed. Now I am in a dilema about which
> one to keep. The difference in price is 10%. Anyone has the inside
> scoop on this ?
>
> In one scenario I can think of, the CompUSA laptop is a returned item -
> maybe due to too many dead LCD pixels. The store decided to simply
> reseal and resell. Here's some pictures :
>
> CompUSA laptop with broken seal - resealed:
> http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
>
> BestBuy Laptop shows how toshiba seal actually looks like
> http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
>
> Together
> http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
>
> 2 more shots of the broken seal
> http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
> http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_...
> Thanks for your time and knowledge !
>
> Regards
> Debjyot

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 9:23:58 AM

Neither of them were opened, so the return process should be
problemfree. I actually returned the resealed laptop to CompUSA and
told them they need to mark resealed laptops either as refurbished or
returned.

Isn't buying laptops similar to Schrodinger's cat problem ? I am
currently debating on whether to open the best buy package - just came
to know that the toshiba A75-s209 model suffers from freezes due to
static discharge thru the metal speaker grills/touchpad.
Desktops are so much easier to buy/build than laptops....
!