Phenom II 545 unlocked to quad, overheating...

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hi, I have a Phenom II 545 3.0 ghz Dual core. It runs fine as a dual core except it's very hot. In 3D games it gets to about 60C and stays around there. Idling it's about 50C.

It's just a crappy stock HSF and poor cooling for my case I guess, I've re-applied thermal paste correctly 3x and doesn't seem to help much.
I've unlocked the Dual core to Quad and it runs perfectly fine except it's about 8C hotter, but when I play a game for more then an hour the PC will just completely shut down because of the temperature (The second it hits 68C it immediately shuts down)

I can turn the option to stop it from shutting down in the bios, but I'm guessing these temps aren't so good? I don't have any money to buy a new HSF at the moment.
I'd really like to unlock it to quad and disable that option in the bios but my processor would be running too hot, do you think it's safe or should I just keep it how it is?

*EDIT* The temps are actually slightly lower then I thought. I was looking at the CPU temp instead of the Core temp.

I guess the shut off point is 60C and with the processor locked (Dual core) Idle is 42C and high is 52C. With it unlocked it's 8C higher (Thus hitting 60C and forcing shut down)

Also, Everest ultimate is reporting that my CPU core voltage is at 1.42V, Is that normal?

The voltages are.

Core 1.42V
+3.3 3.34V
+12 12.39V

but when I play a game for more then an hour the PC will just completely shut down because of the temperature (The second it hits 68C it immediately shuts down)
This isn't right. That is definitely not the shut down temperature. I don't have a current processor to test it on but the K8 processors shut down around 115-120*C. I tested that myself.

It's just a crappy stock HSF and poor cooling for my case I guess,
I would say yes, except you said this:
Hi, I have a Phenom II 545 3.0 ghz Dual core. It runs fine as a dual core except it's very hot. In 3D games it gets to about 60C and stays around there. Idling it's about 50C.
Idling. That is extremely hot idle even though the load is only a bit above normal. I'd hazard a guess that you have a lot of overheating going on. Does your processor ever seem slow on load as if it is throttling itself?

Let's also double check to make sure you are using a program like HWmonitor and you are paying attention to the core #0 &#1 temperatures and not some other reading.

The voltages are.

Core 1.42V
+3.3 3.34V
+12 12.39V

Your voltages read from a program (3.3 and 12) seem pretty good from what I have seen. As for the core, I am not sure about what the default is. Have you checked the core setting in the bios though?

Also note that unlocked the temperature cannot be read properly. I am surprised you could read it at all. Most cases I have seen it can't even be read.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
The stock HSF on the 545 is weak, its just ok for stock settings. I run a 955 at 3.4GHz (mild OC) with it's much beafier stock HSF (quad heat pipe) in a well vented NZXT Hades and I am getting 32-33C idle and around 46-48 in WoW. Prime95 pushes me to 56C. Given that yours had the 2 cores disables, more likely they arent 100%, so they are leaking power, which adds heat. If you arent willing to get a new HSF, disable the 2 extra cores.

Hobybobag

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
You could try lowering the voltage a little and underclocking it slightly if you want to run it as a quad core with the same hsf, otherwise you probably want to look into getting better cooling

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It was set to auto, and the Vcore would be at 1.02 when looking at the desktop, but the second I open a program like the web browser it goes to 1.42

So I set it to normal (1.35V) and the temp's dropped 4-6C. I'm going to see what the temps are when I unlock the other two cores soon.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
^ lawl.

yea try applying good thermal paste and a better heat sink if you can afford it. also make sure wou strip the old thermal paste with 90+ % alchohol

you can find alot of helpful youtube videos on how to properly strip and apply thermal paste.

as for 60 degrees c... under load that just isn't extemely hot. my wife has a old dual core athlon and her's runs in the 40's idle and gets into the high 60's under load; granted that was on an am2 processor (her case has little ventilation she would prefer a quiet case to a well ventilated which is fine we just had to leave all her settings stock)

You are a lucky man (assuming you are not a girl :lol: ) Glad your temps are better.

Gigabyte tends to over-volt on *Auto* - drop your vCore in the BIOS -0.0125v and see what your volts report in Windows.

And what you can do (which makes this really great :D ) ...

Is save up to 8 different BIOS profiles using the F11-F12 keys, like:

BIOS Setting 1: PhII 545 stock

BIOS Setting 2: 950 quad unlocked stock

BIOS Setting 3: 950 quad unlocked OC 1

BIOS Setting 4: PhII 545 15x250MHz

BIOS Setting 5: PhII 545 15x250MHz -0125v

etc ...

Simply load your preferred profile at boot and off yah go [:jaydeejohn:5]