So I built a new computer about a week ago and the only part I haven't been able to get working was the CD Drive. After installing all the drivers over the web, I mostly forgot about it since I download most of my software. But now I need to fix it.
And here's what information I have about it:
- It won't read disks or open (without manually opening it)
- The SATA connection is good since it showed up when I tried to boot Windows 7 from it.
- It is receiving power (I think) since the green light flashes briefly when I try to open it with the button.
- While the BIOS appeared to recognize it, the system isn't. It doesn't show up on My Computer.
- Manually opening it and putting a disk in doesn't work since it won't read it.
Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this problem, or am I going to have to return this to New Egg?
I'd try both another SATA port, if you've got one, and also a different SATA power cable from the PSU if you've got a free one. Individually of course.
If it still doesn't work, I would ask NewEgg for a replacement. I could also offer an RMA, but then you'd lose the option of sending it back to NewEgg if you wanted a refund or to maybe try a different drive.