Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS on crysis with high end system & HD5970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2010 1:38:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Here are my specs and 3d mark results :

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=B2EF0E20E107C36E4E226B47EC09836B?resultId=2276462&resultType=19

I loaded up crysis and tried to run it at very high. Theperformance was terribly unplayable and laggy. I then tried running it on high but was still quite unplayable whenever there are sudden movements or and action onscreen. I then had to settle for Medium settings in order to get any enjoyment from the game whatsoever. This PC cost me over EUR2200 to construct. Is it possible that there is something very wrong here for me to have to run crysis on medium?

Suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks

SPECS:
OS Windows 7 64 bit
CPU Intel Core i7-920 Processor
CPU Speed 2673 MHz
MSI ATI R5970-PM2D2G PCIEXPRESS VIDEO CARD 2GB
RAM DDR3 P1600 2GB X3 KIT PATRIOT VIPERLINE GAMER
ASUS MAINBOARD P6T SE
COOLING SYSTEM - COOLIT DOMINO
700W PSU PRO GAMING SILENTPRO FAN ACTIVE PFC - COOLERMASTER
SATA HDD 1TB 7200RPM
August 8, 2010 10:59:32 AM

Quote:
It seems to me ur 3dmark score is very low.did u enable crossfire in ccc.and what res u play.

Im playing at standard res for my monitor which is 1680 x 1050.. From where do i enable xfire in Ccc? Im sure it should already be enabled though..
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 11:37:31 AM

Crossfire should be disabled if you are running a single card.
Related resources
August 8, 2010 12:59:04 PM

Tamz_msc said:
Crossfire should be disabled if you are running a single card.

i cannot find any way to enable it anyway, so im assuming it is already diabled.. Im more woried that theres a problem with the card itself. Games are generally very laggy with low FPS. The only game i can say ran smoothly at very high graphics was battlefield bad company. ARMA is frustratingly slow, crysis at very high is like a slideshow, even Company of heros jerks slightly if i zoom in fast while spinning the camera.

Is there a program i can use to measure my FPS rates while gaming to compare them to others?
August 8, 2010 1:19:40 PM

Ill download fraps too..

The HD5970 is a double GPU card so im guessing thats why it says xfire is enabled?

I uploaded both pages as there are two options in the drop down menu that says "ATI RADEON DH 5970 SERIES".. the only noticable difference between them is in the driver field.

thanks
August 8, 2010 1:28:22 PM

I have noticed a difference in the GPU memory/cores clocks though. I dont know if this is effecting anything.

August 8, 2010 1:50:50 PM

this looks interesting.. GPU2 seems to me taking none of the load whatsoever..

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 1:56:53 PM

rossfire does not work in windowed mode.
Click log when in background, run crysis in full screen and they should both load up.
Also you need to d/l the crossfire dual gpu driver profiles. Those are separate from the driver releases.
http://game.amd.com/es-es/drivers_catalyst.aspx?driver=...
August 8, 2010 2:00:31 PM

res what fraps had to say:

2010-08-08 15:55:01 - crysis
Frames: 143 - Time: 5622ms - Avg: 25.436 - Min: 0 - Max: 33

ok im gona try fullscreen. brb..
August 8, 2010 2:11:41 PM

Im trying to run GPUz but its telling me Could not stop driver: this service cannot accept control msgs at this time..

gonna reset and try again.

This is after i installed the driver gpu profiles u mentioned.. brb
August 8, 2010 2:34:53 PM

Im already seeing a nice increase in FPS, could it be the dual gpu driver profiles you told me to get? I installed them but didnt fiddle around with them.

Sorry i forgot to click max in the screenie.. both GPUs were showing a load of 99%
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 2:41:24 PM

If both gpu's are now showing load, and your fps is 'better' in Crysis then I would say you needed those profiles. Did you build or buy this computer ? If you bought it, you might think it would come configured to utilized the 700 dollar gpu, but lol, they don't always .

When you get a chance , you can try o/c in CCC or whereever , try 800/1100
That should give you another 15%.
August 8, 2010 2:50:16 PM

notty22 said:
If both gpu's are now showing load, and your fps is 'better' in Crysis then I would say you needed those profiles. Did you build or buy this computer ? If you bought it, you might think it would come configured to utilized the 700 dollar gpu, but lol, they don't always .

When you get a chance , you can try o/c in CCC or whereever , try 800/1100
That should give you another 15%.

I bought it from a local oc store customized to my reuests on parts. It was his first attempt at an hd5970 so maybe he didnt take into consideration the profiles.. Anyway, ill keep an eye out for problems but all is better already. What average fps do you think i should be running crysis at?
August 8, 2010 3:10:40 PM

ill check that too, brb
August 8, 2010 3:35:15 PM

These are the results after 2 minutes of play.. looks like the load is evened out over both gpus. Ill try oc the card a bit later, maybe ill give the cpu a go too..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 8:56:41 PM

I had the same problem I did everything you did but my GPU Load is 0%....something is wrong. Ive tried running crysis like this too and the maximum load I ever got was a measely 38 percent. Any ideas from peeps?
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2010 9:47:58 PM

I too have a 5970 and also get very laggy performance in it. As mentioned above try a different driver version. I would like to point out however that on Warhead everything maxxed, 4xaa 1680x1050 i'm getting 58fps, it's silky smooth.
September 14, 2010 8:31:48 AM

My FPS is still suffering and certain times i see the card is not using both cores... Ive been told that my psu could be the problem so ive taken it back to the technician and waiting on a EUR200 psu upgrade. Im hoping it could be the problem and im not just throwing more money away.
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 11:47:08 AM

Yep I didn't read your specs but 700W is on the low side for such a high performance card. I think the literature says it needs at least 650W of clean power. Check AMD site for certified PSU's for the 5970.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 1:59:06 PM

Okay yeah I think I might upgrade my power supply and double check to make sure my PCI slot is the newest one. I doubt it isnt but Ill double check. Yeah with my GPU Load, one is never above 30% but the other is around 90 during gameplay. Its very odd
October 18, 2010 6:42:48 PM

Create autoexec.cfg in crysis folder.

r_MultiGPU [0,1,2] - This option controls whether Crysis enables
additional overhead for rendering on multi-GPU systems (i.e. SLI and CrossFire setups).
If set to 0 - which is the optimal setting for single-GPU systems - it disables multi-GPU support;
if set to 1 it enables multi-GPU support for both SLI and Crossfire;
if set to 2 it attempts to auto-detect if a multi-GPU setup is present (system).

And use frame limiter (gamespot forum about FPS limiter).
Set it at 58 FPS max and kiss goodbye stuttering and lag.

*It doesn't work with crysis 64 bit or dx10 so here what to do = Go to crysis folder and
inside bin32 get crysis.exe and create shortcut to desktop.

then in the autoexec.cfg file add : r_driver=DX9 and d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
also q_renderer=3 and r_MotionBlur=5 and con_restricted = 0 (this will add the very high settings
on dx9 while still being on dx9)
!