Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is better, Corsair Dominator? Or Vengeance? Also, 2X4GB or 4x2GB

Last response: in Memory
August 5, 2011 6:05:37 PM

Hello!

I was wondering, In general, is Corsair Dominator or Corsair Vengeance better quality memory?

Also, I have heard that 2X4GB is better for overclocking and stuff Vs. 4X2GB. Is that true?
I have 4GBs in my computer right now, and I want to know if I should buy a 2x4GB kit? or another 2x2GB kit to go with the one I already have.

Please reply!!

Thanks!!

--- Yogman
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 1:38:32 AM

Dominator is well known as good overclocking memory. However, it usually requires extra voltage to do that. On older systems that can handle that higher voltage it is better.

For the newest generation of AMD and Intel systems that need 1.5v RAM, Vengeance is better.

And yes, in general 2x4GB will overclock better than 4x2GB.
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 1:56:06 AM

yogman said:
Hello!

I was wondering, In general, is Corsair Dominator or Corsair Vengeance better quality memory?

Also, I have heard that 2X4GB is better for overclocking and stuff Vs. 4X2GB. Is that true?
I have 4GBs in my computer right now, and I want to know if I should buy a 2x4GB kit? or another 2x2GB kit to go with the one I already have.

Please reply!!

Thanks!!

--- Yogman

To my mind, any ram that works is good quality. If it does not work it is bad.
Corsair of any type is a well supported product.
The big difference in ram of the same specs is cosmetics, namely the fancy heat spreaders.
I think they are mostly marketing, excepting possibly for record seeking overclockers.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
It is better to get what you need in one kit.
It would be best to get a single 8gb kit(2 x 4gb) of compatible ram and sell your 4gb kit. Those ram kits are cheap today.
Two sticks also preserves your option to go to 4 sticks.

But, another 2 x 2gb kit is odds on to work.

The reason why a 2 x4gb kit is better for Overclocking is that the motherboard has to control fewer sticks. When you add extra sticks you may have to up the voltage to control them; an unnecessary complacation when overclocking.
Related resources
August 6, 2011 3:53:16 AM

geofelt said:
To my mind, any ram that works is good quality. If it does not work it is bad.
Corsair of any type is a well supported product.
The big difference in ram of the same specs is cosmetics, namely the fancy heat spreaders.
I think they are mostly marketing, excepting possibly for record seeking overclockers.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
It is better to get what you need in one kit.
It would be best to get a single 8gb kit(2 x 4gb) of compatible ram and sell your 4gb kit. Those ram kits are cheap today.
Two sticks also preserves your option to go to 4 sticks.

But, another 2 x 2gb kit is odds on to work.

The reason why a 2 x4gb kit is better for Overclocking is that the motherboard has to control fewer sticks. When you add extra sticks you may have to up the voltage to control them; an unnecessary complacation when overclocking.

Thank you for the reply! You have pretty much answered most all of my questions! (Except I would like to say that I have an Asus p7p55D-E pro with Mem-Ok! so compatibility shouldn't be an issue with buying two kits (If they have the same timings and clock)).

If I upgrade my Corsair dominator memory (a 2x2GB set (DDR3 1333, 9-9-9-24 (I think), and 1.5V (I think)), I would be switching to this: http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-...

This that I good kit? (The vengeance one?)

Thank you for your help!!

--Yogman
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 7:06:29 PM

yogman said:
Thank you for the reply! You have pretty much answered most all of my questions! (Except I would like to say that I have an Asus p7p55D-E pro with Mem-Ok! so compatibility shouldn't be an issue with buying two kits (If they have the same timings and clock)).

If I upgrade my Corsair dominator memory (a 2x2GB set (DDR3 1333, 9-9-9-24 (I think), and 1.5V (I think)), I would be switching to this: http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-...

This that I good kit? (The vengeance one?)

Thank you for your help!!

--Yogman

Looks good to me. But you might go to the corsair ram configurator, enter your motherboard, and see if the kit shows up on the list of supported kits.
If any issue shows up, you will then have support instead of finger pointing.
m
l
August 6, 2011 11:38:22 PM

Best answer selected by yogman.
m
l
!