Crosshair IV Formula EXTREMELY slow POST

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Formula
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 5, 2011 6:54:43 PM

Ever since I bought and installed my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, my POST time has been significant (20 seconds or so). For instance here is a typical boot.

Computer has been off all night. Press power button.
Machine starts up and it is about 10-12 seconds before the BIOS POST screen comes up.
The BIOS POST screen is up for about 5 seconds then it proceeds to Windows boot.

NOTE that the duration is the same for both a cold boot and a reboot.

I have been closely monitoring the POST LED's (CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT_DEVICE) and a few of them are really quite long.

This motherboard is an upgrade from the original ASUS Crosshair and that board never had a long POST. I am an overclocker who is constantly in the BIOS testing things and these delays are really angering me.

Is there some remedy?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (4.0 @ 1.43)
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3
GPU: 2x MSI Twin Frozr III R6950 (in Crossfire)
DRAM: 4x4GB G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @ 1.50V) F3-12800CL9-4GBRL
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W

Also note that the problem persists between GFX card changes (I previously had a 4870) and with PSU changes (I previously had a 650W Antec).

More about : crosshair formula extremely slow post

August 7, 2011 6:00:46 PM

my crosshair iv extreme does the same thing when you change settings in the bios or my oc fails i have no real answer for what is going on but from what i can tell the system pauses to allow power drain i could be way off but that’s what it feels like to me. i have just accepted the pause although mine doesn’t happen often how stable is your overclock ?
you could also try setting your ram back to 1333 as the cpu is designed for 1333 anything higher is considered overclocked for that cpu
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2011 5:17:57 PM

grahamie said:
my crosshair iv extreme does the same thing when you change settings in the bios or my oc fails i have no real answer for what is going on but from what i can tell the system pauses to allow power drain i could be way off but that’s what it feels like to me. i have just accepted the pause although mine doesn’t happen often how stable is your overclock ?
you could also try setting your ram back to 1333 as the cpu is designed for 1333 anything higher is considered overclocked for that cpu

My overclock is quite stable (4.0Ghz @ 1.4375V)

I have tried running the memory at 1333Mhz and it makes no difference in POST time...so I just do the better of the two and run it at 1600.

I am glad to hear that this problem isn't just felt by me.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 8, 2011 5:29:01 PM

Slow post - more than likely it's being caused by a SATA time-out 20~30 seconds. IF the ODD/DVD is the first in the Boot Priority and if it has some 'media' in its tray, is set to AHCI {change SATA port} and/or is older {Firmware} the BIOS is instructing the ODD to 'look' for bootable/OS type media files.

Change the Primary SSD/HDD in the First position Boot Priority an reboot/try again.

Also, if using AHCI mode then chances are the 'Start' Value(s) <> 0 and possibly 3 which loads the IDE driver instead of the AHCI Driver(s); Start Values = 0 for AHCI. To fix either manually verify/change the registry values or use 'Fix It' -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Note Start = 0
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:20:59 PM

Thanks for this detailed reply.

Both the SSD, HDD, and ODD are set to AHCI. I have had this issue even when everything was set to IDE.

The primary SSD is int he first boot position priority and the problem is still persisting.

I will check the registry to see if it is loading the IDE driver instead...that is an interesting idea.

Thank you for this, and I will report back once I have tested all these troubleshooting steps.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 5:06:35 PM

Let me know.
m
l
August 11, 2011 9:32:35 PM

Honestly don’t see that fixing the issue as my system does it in both Windows 7 and Debian. It doesn’t matter if I’m using ide, ahci or raid mode. it seems to me that its most prominent when im changing over clock settings or changing between ide, ahci and raid modes.
Please let us know your findings?
m
l
August 11, 2011 10:20:41 PM

Okay, I went into the registry and found that key...the value was already 0. Is this because I am using the AMD AHCI Driver?

I am going to set the ODD to IDE right now in the BIOS...but I don't think it will be remedied.

EDIT: Setting the ODD to IDE did not fix anything.

I feel that everyone doesn't understand the entire slow process so let me explain in detail.

1) I press Restart in Windows 7. It begins to shut down.
2) When Windows has finished, my monitor says it is not receiving a signal from the HDMI input to my graphics card. This lasts about 7 seconds.
3) The screen goes black as if it is in idle mode. This lasts about 5 seconds.
4) The BIOS POST screen appears. This lasts about 5 seconds.
5) Windows boots.

Is this normal?
m
l
August 12, 2011 11:20:21 AM

100 percent normal both crosshair boards (3 formula and 4 extreme) do the same thing, actually I can count 4 other crosshair boards that all do the same thing. There is an even longer wait that can occur and that is what I thought you were talking about it happens when you change your overclock profiles or switch between IDE ,AHCI or Raid mode.
m
l
August 12, 2011 4:28:28 PM

i find when you have multiple hard drives, it causes the BIOS to slow down on the boot process as it waits for all of them to spin up to confirm if anything new has been added, etc.
I got 1 SSD & 3 HDD, takes a good chunk of time for it to get past BIOS, then rest of startup is OK.
m
l
August 12, 2011 5:05:02 PM

Mine still does it even if i only have just my ssd connected and the wait doesn’t seem to be any different when i have 4x raid, ssd and 2 single drives connected. 90% of the reboots are just fine 2 or 3 seconds from power down to post but like i said when there are changes made within the bios or oc failed the post takes longer. It can take up to 20 seconds at times. This is true on all the crosshair boards i have used or setup.
m
l
August 12, 2011 5:30:30 PM

i have emailed Asus over this issue and ill repost with their response when i get it
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 5:33:00 PM

brandon02852 said:
I feel that everyone doesn't understand the entire slow process so let me explain in detail.

2) When Windows has finished, my monitor says it is not receiving a signal from the HDMI input to my graphics card. This lasts about 7 seconds.
5) Windows boots.

Is this normal?

Normal for HDMI yes on many MOBO's, it depends upon both you monitor and the monitor's connection. Not so normal for D-Sub {VGA} or DVI.

The 'Start' = 0 is a common cause of 'oddball' boots.
m
l
August 13, 2011 1:38:55 AM

jaquith said:
Normal for HDMI yes on many MOBO's, it depends upon both you monitor and the monitor's connection. Not so normal for D-Sub {VGA} or DVI.

The 'Start' = 0 is a common cause of 'oddball' boots.

This issue persists on both VGA and DVI as well as HDMI.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 1:53:13 AM

IF you 'tweaked' your BIOS or are running some OC utility e.g. AMD OverDrive Utility, ASUS AI SUITE, etc then those can cause an oddball screen flashing.

IF your booting in, 7+5+5, 17 seconds and everything runs okay then IMO ignore it.

Yes, you can run Prime95 and Memtest and 3DMark to insure everything is okay, and if it is then defiantly ignore it.
m
l
August 13, 2011 11:16:09 AM

jaquith said:
IF you 'tweaked' your BIOS or are running some OC utility e.g. AMD OverDrive Utility, ASUS AI SUITE, etc then those can cause an oddball screen flashing.

IF your booting in, 7+5+5, 17 seconds and everything runs okay then IMO ignore it.

Yes, you can run Prime95 and Memtest and 3DMark to insure everything is okay, and if it is then defiantly ignore it.

The bios is the stock 1902 BIOS. Yes I have it tweaked for overclocking but no matter the settings, the same boot sequence described above occurs.

Everything does run great but it is something so odd that never occurred with any of my boards until now which is why I am investigating it.

P95, Memtest and 3DMark are all working fine.
m
l
August 13, 2011 1:31:41 PM

It’s a crosshair thing it doesn’t matter what hardware it connected or what bios you’re on defiantly doesn’t matter how your displays are connected or how your os is set up its simply a crosshair quirk when Asus gets back to me I’ll be able to give you there response to this issue.
until then try this revert back to stock speed in bios and reboot you should get the long pause then go back into the bios and load your OC profile again you should get the pause, load windows then reboot your post will still take a few seconds but nothing like the pause you get changing the settings in the bios. Your board and system are just fine.

I cannot address the possibility of the OC software being the culprit of this issue as I have always had ai suite installed on all the crosshairs I have owned or worked on. That could be something to try. Uninstall oc software and test to see it that makes any difference.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 1:56:58 PM

I'm curious here myself - lets try something incredibly simple. Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic mode, and restart a couple times. IF the behavior goes away, mystery solved, it's a BIOS invasive App. Then run MSCONFIG -> select Normal startup and reboot - back to normal.
m
l
August 13, 2011 2:00:30 PM

ok ill try that now
m
l
August 13, 2011 2:20:21 PM

@Jaquith, msconfig won’t allow me to apply the diagnostic startup on the general tab when i hit apply it changes to selective startup is this normal i tried it on my ssd with all tweaks enabled and no go so it booted to the same os on a regular platter single drive with fresh windows 7 x64 and i got the same results am I missing a step ? Is it supposed to change from diagnostic to selective all on its own?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 2:33:10 PM

No, it seems something is preventing that change on your system; something doesn't want to be turned-off perhaps one of those Apps. Leave it alone and go back the 'Normal' startup. This is no big deal as you pointed-out before and I totally agree.

You could disable the 'Splash Screen' and place your primary HDD/SSD in position #1 and enable Quick Boot; I do this it cuts a few seconds off boot times.
m
l
August 13, 2011 2:45:04 PM

Done, done and done LOL this is why i have excepted it as I’m sure i have exhausted most possibility’s and honestly i don’t mind it as i feel it gives the hardware a chance to fully drain power before its post. I’m really curious what Asus is going to say when they finally get back to me on this one.
m
l
August 13, 2011 3:58:16 PM

i cant hear the post on that boot so i cant tell if the pause is there. that one took 36 seconds ill time mine under normal shut down ( with out the pause)
m
l
August 13, 2011 4:26:39 PM

his boot is .8 seconds faster than mine is. 36.8 is my boot time from post. but this pause happens just before the post if it happens at all, ill make some changes and see if i can time it with the pause
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 7:55:25 PM

The video was geared towards the OP's symptoms listed below. The video on the same MOBO didn't exhibit the same characteristics. I assumed that you had the same things happening on your C4F.
5) Windows boots.
m
l
August 14, 2011 12:27:41 PM

Nope it’s different than that video. Shut down is normal all power is off and your waiting for the bios post. Normally it only takes 2 or 3 seconds but the pause we are talking about is at the same place in the reboot sequence only difference is it can take up two 20 seconds to post after it fully powers down. Or as brandon02852 said, the time from hitting the power to the time the bios posts (the beep)
My board is the ch4 extreme but i have ran into the same thing on close to a dozen crosshairs I have worked on.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 14, 2011 8:42:12 PM

I've built (1) C4E last Nov and as I recall it booted normally. I didn't install any 'Utilities', but it too has been many many builds ago.

During the boot the video is being handed off to Windows and the resolutions change -- perhaps as described it the monitor's way of dealing with those changes. :??: 
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:29:43 PM

You know it kind of feels like the bios is doing a check of some sort before it posts. The displays are off at the time of the pause so i don’t see it having anything to do with it
Example 1: I`m in the bios and don’t make any changes, i hit save and reboot. Displays go off 2 or 3 second pause then the bios posts, from that point on its a 37 second boot.
Example 2: I’m in the bios I change my cpu clock speed from 4.3 back to 3.2 I save and reboot, the displays go off and there is a 20 second pause then post, after that it’s a 37 second boot.
It also happens when an oc fails or change from ide ahci or raid mode.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 1:24:34 PM

If you're getting long 20~30 second boot delays 'often' it's a SATA port time-out. Try changing the boot order to make the Primary OS drive in Priority #1 position {not the ODD 'DVD' etc}.
m
l
!