(NEW SYSTEM) PC for HD Home Video Editing <$900

I've spent the last 3 hours on here and found so much information my brain is looking to explode. You guys are the best and I'm amazed that a website like this exists with so many wise people willing to help.

So, I'm ordering a "Click to configure" computer and I need to stay under $900. The PC will be used for HD Home Video Editing and I'm clueless as to what video card + motherboard to combine. (ATI vs GeForce, etc)

System will have:

Intel Core i5 660 3.33GHz (Dual Core) 4000K
Intel Socket 1156 CPU fan
*MOTHERBOARD?????*
*GRAPHICS CARD??????*
4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR3 1066 Dual Channel
500GB WD 7200 RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal Black
Realtek HD digital audio (I have external pro recording interfaces that work as the main audio)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
FireWire Adapter Card PCI
PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
Logisys 400W ATX Power Supply <-- ***Will this be enough???****

As you can see, most of the add ons are basic, I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit that will be installed, and I already have a laptop where I do most of my office work, internet, email, etc so this desktop would be solely for the HD video editing and some audio recording.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!! :bounce:
4 answers Last reply
More about system home video editing
  1. A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gpu-computing-adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-and-the-mercury-playback-engine/
    Quote:
    This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

So assuming u want to leverage Mercury Playback engine @ $673AR (makes playing games an option as well)

else just stick to the 880G IGP ^^
  2. That quote you used is great and all, until you realize they were using SD video. He needs HD, which even my 4GHz i7 massively struggles in Premiere Pro with more than one simultaneous layer of 1080p footage.
  3. Maybe I should rephrase. I'm not doing 1080p. Likely 720 or 1080i at most. Nothing pro. Just making sure life memories from our camcorder can be edited and sent out to family. And recording sports games to have a library of them at home. Most likely 720P would do.

Thanks for the responses so far.
  4. You are welcomed ^^
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Video Editing Systems