hot pixel

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 3, 2005 11:17:09 PM

i got a new 20d. it even has the 1.1.0 firmware. Guess what, it has 5
hot pixels at ISO 100, 30sec, one of them is faint which I missed at
first. two or so faint ones at 1sec. Are there really a 20D with no hot
pixels at up to 30sec? This makes night shooting a nitghtmare without
the time consuming dark frame substraction.

More about : hot pixel

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:13:40 PM

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>i got a new 20d. it even has the 1.1.0 firmware. Guess what, it has 5
>hot pixels at ISO 100, 30sec, one of them is faint which I missed at
>first. two or so faint ones at 1sec. Are there really a 20D with no
>hot pixels at up to 30sec?

You're unlikely to find *any* sensor, without a few hot/stuck/dead
pixels, regardless of brand/type.

> This makes night shooting a nitghtmare without the time consuming
> dark frame substraction.

If it is very important to you, you can ask Canon to map the pixels
out.
Do realise that bad pixels will develop over time, but will not be
noticable in moderate print sizes (unless they are in a cluster). The
darkframe subtraction also reduces noise, so that may be more
important if there is no opportunity for postprocessing.

Bart
!