Sign in with
Your question

Press power, turns on, turns off, turns back on (sustained power)

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2010 3:18:14 AM

I have a question that has most likely been asked in one form or another but not in the exact way I am going to ask it. So any help would be great!

Problem: I turn my computer on (cool), two seconds of spooling up and the fans/hard drives running/led lights on, the computer shuts down for about 3-4 seconds. After that time, the computer will turn itself on and not turn back off. It does not seem like a big problem, but after dishing out $1000 for the computer four months ago, I would like to know.

Specs: i7 930
X58 EVGA SLI LE Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GTX+
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Power Supply
8GB G skill Ripjaws ddr3 1333

Thanks for any help, I am not sure why it is doing this. My only guess was the power supply/mb.
December 9, 2010 3:24:49 AM

An added note, the computer has done this two other times in it's four month life span.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 9, 2010 4:03:55 AM

Is it overclocked? Sometimes a system won't like the settings, so it shuts itself down and tries again, then boots normally.

If it has only done this 3 times in the last 4 months, I wouldn't worry about it.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2010 4:11:20 AM

First off , killing power to the hdd is the fastest way to destroy it.
The problem sounds very much like it's in the post. If you built the system, go through the bios, and see if there is something obvious.
If this is a storebought unit, take it back and get them to fix it.
m
l
December 9, 2010 4:48:31 AM

Yeah, I know it is not good for the hard drive. It is a custom build, and I did not see anything sticking out.
m
l
December 9, 2010 4:49:42 AM

jsc said:
Is it overclocked? Sometimes a system won't like the settings, so it shuts itself down and tries again, then boots normally.

If it has only done this 3 times in the last 4 months, I wouldn't worry about it.

No it is not overclocked, and I am not that worried, thanks!
m
l
December 9, 2010 6:58:16 AM

endyen said:
First off , killing power to the hdd is the fastest way to destroy it.

It's a great way to corrupt data, but it shouldn't damage the hard drive. They are built to handle it.
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
December 9, 2010 5:53:43 PM

Reset your BIOS to defaults. It shouldn't be needed this soon, but replace the CMOS battery on the mobo if that doesn't fix it (and reset to default again after replacing the battery).
m
l
!