kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi everyone.

I recently completed my first build. I have a Asus P6T motherboard and I was wondering if it is capable of connecting to a wireless network or do I have to buy a separate networking card. If i do have to buy one, does anyone have any good recommendations? Thanks.

Solution
The motherboard has a network port if you can run a cat5 cable to your switch/router/whatever box your ISP gave you.

If you have to go wireless then you need an adapter. I just grab the cheapest Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, ASUS available and figure I will replace it every year or two. I havent found the PCIE wireless cards to be any more reliable or durable, but they are generally twice as expensive and much harder to install.

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, I will be needing a network card right? And are there any performance differences between the wireless card or the usb wireless card? And would you have any good recommendations for the usb wireless network card?

The motherboard has a network port if you can run a cat5 cable to your switch/router/whatever box your ISP gave you.

If you have to go wireless then you need an adapter. I just grab the cheapest Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, ASUS available and figure I will replace it every year or two. I havent found the PCIE wireless cards to be any more reliable or durable, but they are generally twice as expensive and much harder to install.

Solution

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Thanks for the help!