OCZ Vertx 4

Hi all,

I recently purchased an OCZ Vertex 4 and installed windows 8, but after installation I decided I wanted to raid my ssd and hdd so i formatted both drives and Raid0 them in stripe mode. After a failed installation i decided to revert to my ssd being my boot drive and my hdd for storage. But when i formatted both drives again, neither drive gets detected by windows 8 installer and the maximum storage size has been significantly decreased. For example, my ssd was 256GB but after i stopped raid0 and reformatted it, the drive somehow became 238Gb as its max capacity as well as my hdd from 500gb to 464Gb. Both drives show up in BIOS, but not the installer and have lost a significant about of storage.

Thanks,

Victor
3 answers Last reply
More about vertx
  1. You should never create a RAID array with a SSD and a HDD. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs. A RAID array's Read/Write performance is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds.

SSD & HDD manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes (Base-10 numeral system).
    Microsoft and memory RAM manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes (Binary numeral system).

The difference between the 2 methods is 7%.
    7% of 256 is 17.92. 256 minus 17.92 is 238.08, which is the capacity you are seeing. 7% of 500 is 35.

So whenever you purchase a drive of any size subtract 7% and that will be the formatted size in Windows.
  2. Dereck47 said:
    You should never create a RAID array with a SSD and a HDD. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs. A RAID array's Read/Write performance is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds.

SSD & HDD manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes (Base-10 numeral system).
    Microsoft and memory RAM manufacturers calculate 1 Gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes (Binary numeral system).

The difference between the 2 methods is 7%.
    7% of 256 is 17.92. 256 minus 17.92 is 238.08, which is the capacity you are seeing. 7% of 500 is 35.

So whenever you purchase a drive of any size subtract 7% and that will be the formatted size in Windows.

Thank you for this information! I greatly appreciate it, but do you happen to know why my ssd is not able to be found in windows installation?
  3. A lot of times that issue is resolved when you update the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version. Your SSD should also be on its latest version 1.5.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OCZ Hard Drives Storage