Random map Generator

I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that can
build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.

One method would be to make a RMG that would just randomly attach pre made
rooms. This would be less flexible but would give the best looking results.

Another method would be to randomly build maps that could them be modified
by humans to give them that polished look. The time it would save in map
building to have something to start with would allow many maps to be made in
shorter times.

I would also like to have the option of playing the existing maps with
random item placement. This would add a new twist to the old maps.

--
Kilowatt@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line.
9 answers Last reply

    "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:
    >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that can
    >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.

    There's a random map generator for HalfLife, but it ends up being
    really boring after the first half-dozen levels you build with it.

    --
    William Smith
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:37:48 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that can
    >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.

    That might make sense for Counterstrike type games, but would make for
    very dull levels for UT style gameplay.

    >I would also like to have the option of playing the existing maps with
    >random item placement. This would add a new twist to the old maps.

    There is a mutator for that I believe.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > That might make sense for Counterstrike type games, but would make for
    > very dull levels for UT style gameplay.
    Do you make maps? I never tried one for UT but I use to make them for Doom
    and then Quake.

    Doom had a random map generator. It made some pretty good maps and after
    you come in and add a wall here and move something there it made great maps.

    I made only 2 for Quake and they took me for ever. Just coming up with the
    shell lay out and putting in the lighting and stuff took me more time than
    it did to make an entire Doom map.

    I don't expect any RMG to make anything special but the time it could cut
    off making the shell would make a RMG very useful IMO

    > There is a mutator for that I believe.
    What is a mutator?

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:37:48 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that
    can
    > >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    >
    > That might make sense for Counterstrike type games, but would make for
    > very dull levels for UT style gameplay.
    >
    > >I would also like to have the option of playing the existing maps with
    > >random item placement. This would add a new twist to the old maps.
    >
    > There is a mutator for that I believe.
    > --
    > Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
    > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
    > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > There's a random map generator for HalfLife,

    Was it done from the people that make HalfLife or an add on?
    I really would like to have one for UT.
    My guess is much less work would be required to fix what ever was boring
    about it than it would be to start from scratch.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:
    > >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that
    can
    > >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    >
    > There's a random map generator for HalfLife, but it ends up being
    > really boring after the first half-dozen levels you build with it.
    >
    > --
    > William Smith
    > ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc. www.compusmiths.com
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:37:48 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that
    can
    > >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    >
    > That might make sense for Counterstrike type games, but would make for
    > very dull levels for UT style gameplay.

    Ok for Counterstrike? I'd say exactly the opposite, in CS the map layout is
    incredibly important - having choke points in the right areas, places with
    good fields of fire for snipers, balanced paths to the objectives from both
    spawn areas. Random maps in CS just wouldn't work.

    Rich
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Do you both agree that a human could fix what ever was wrong with either one
    easier than building a level from scratch? You could throw away 50
    unworkable levels faster than you could come up with a good one from
    scratch.

    "Richard Wingrove" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:37:48 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator
    that
    > can
    > > >build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    > >
    > > That might make sense for Counterstrike type games, but would make for
    > > very dull levels for UT style gameplay.
    >
    > Ok for Counterstrike? I'd say exactly the opposite, in CS the map layout
    is
    > incredibly important - having choke points in the right areas, places with
    > good fields of fire for snipers, balanced paths to the objectives from
    both
    > spawn areas. Random maps in CS just wouldn't work.
    >
    > Rich

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
    > I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that
    can
    > build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    >
    > One method would be to make a RMG that would just randomly attach pre made
    > rooms. This would be less flexible but would give the best looking
    results.

    > Another method would be to randomly build maps that could them be modified
    > by humans to give them that polished look. The time it would save in map
    > building to have something to start with would allow many maps to be made
    in
    > shorter times.
    >
    > I would also like to have the option of playing the existing maps with
    > random item placement. This would add a new twist to the old maps.
    >

    > --
    > Kilowatt@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line.

    Tribes 2 has a random terrain generator. The maps are generally outdoors and
    have no glass walls. You can grab a vehicle and fly in any direction for as
    long as you want. Of course that's boring, but at least there are no glass
    walls.

    Actually a better analogy is probably artificial music generators. There,
    like map making, making things random is not the problem -- making things
    correlated is the problem. Uncorrelated note selection sounds terrible, so
    you need to base their selection on some aesthetic principle.

    The maps I like best have a coherent theme which often depends on an
    artistic vision abstracted from the real world. Plus the map maker has to
    anticipate how the gameplay will go. I've never made a map because I think
    it would be too hard to make a good one. But writing a program to generate
    good maps -- 8o.

    A more reasonable goal might be a map making program which filled in a lot
    of details for you based on very high level input; e.g.: "I want a Gothic
    castle motif with lots of mountains and pine trees". Rules like "make CTF
    maps symmetrical" and "make it risky to get the best goodies" could be
    applied automatically. Then you would have to move things around to satisfy
    various aesthetic and gameplay requirements. Sign me up for a copy after you
    write it. :)

    --
    Cycho{HHR}
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > I know that they will never be able to come up with a map generator that
    > can
    > > build levels like humans can but I wish they would at least make one.
    > >
    > > One method would be to make a RMG that would just randomly attach pre
    made
    > > rooms. This would be less flexible but would give the best looking
    > results.
    > >
    > > Another method would be to randomly build maps that could them be
    modified
    > > by humans to give them that polished look. The time it would save in
    map
    > > building to have something to start with would allow many maps to be
    made
    > in
    > > shorter times.
    > >
    > > I would also like to have the option of playing the existing maps with
    > > random item placement. This would add a new twist to the old maps.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Kilowatt@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line.
    > >

    > Tribes 2 has a random terrain generator. The maps are generally outdoors
    and
    > have no glass walls. You can grab a vehicle and fly in any direction for
    as
    > long as you want. Of course that's boring, but at least there are no glass
    > walls.
    >
    > Actually a better analogy is probably artificial music generators. There,
    > like map making, making things random is not the problem -- making things
    > correlated is the problem. Uncorrelated note selection sounds terrible, so
    > you need to base their selection on some aesthetic principle.
    >
    > The maps I like best have a coherent theme which often depends on an
    > artistic vision abstracted from the real world. Plus the map maker has to
    > anticipate how the gameplay will go. I've never made a map because I think
    > it would be too hard to make a good one. But writing a program to generate
    > good maps -- 8o.
    >
    > A more reasonable goal might be a map making program which filled in a lot
    > of details for you based on very high level input; e.g.: "I want a Gothic
    > castle motif with lots of mountains and pine trees". Rules like "make CTF
    > maps symmetrical" and "make it risky to get the best goodies" could be
    > applied automatically. Then you would have to move things around to
    satisfy
    > various aesthetic and gameplay requirements. Sign me up for a copy after
    you
    > write it. :)
    >
    > --
    > Cycho{HHR}
    > http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    Well you won't get me to volunteer to write it but if I post the idea here
    often enough and enough show interest then someone with the know how might
    just give it a try.

    I am not asking for a RMG that makes good maps. All I am asking for is some
    help in making levels. A randomly generated shell would be a good start.
    Give us some bricks and mortar and throw in some lights and we can paint it.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    William P.N Smith enlightened us with:
    > There's a random map generator for HalfLife, but it ends up being
    > really boring after the first half-dozen levels you build with it.

    I guess we need a random generator for random map generators ;-)

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the

Games Build Video Games